Redwood Acoustics isn't like most music stores. You won't find that mass-produced guitar perfectly priced for the child who might lose interest in a month or so.
No, the guitars that hang on the walls of Redwood Acoustics are all hand-built by some of the top luthiers in the world, each instrument custom-designed by owner Tom Dircks.
He chooses the woods. Will it be Brazilian rosewood? Cocobola? Walnut?
He chooses the shape: Will it be more rounded or square? Feature a little rock 'n roll flare?
And there are countless other decisions to be made, from nut width to whether to have fret markings.
It's a dream job, Dircks admits.
"I just love to play them, and love the tone," he said. "I love the look of them - the wood, the finishes, the craftsmanship."
That craftsmanship, with the help of the Internet, has drawn collectors nationwide to the fledgling store. Some fly in to strum the 75 or so guitars in the shop before buying, others know so specifically what they want that they don't need to. And some design their own, ordering it through Redwood.
High-end guitars by companies like Collings, Huss-Dalton, Bourgeois, Eastman and Lowden are worth it, Dircks said.
While the guitars are perhaps a little beyond the casual musician's needs, Dircks doesn't thumb his nose at recreational guitarists. He is one.
"My first guitar was in the 1970s, but between then and now I didn't practice at all," he admits. "About three years ago, my son and I got into it."
That's Tommy Dircks, a Wisconsin Hills Middle School student, who keeps every guitar in the store in tune.
Dircks invites all guitarists to stop by. He enjoys meeting others with the same passion.
"People who play guitar tend to be fun," he said.
That's why he's taking names of people interested in forming an informal guitar circle for people of varying skill levels. It will meet at the store once a month or so, just for the joy of it.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Redwood Acoustics
ADDRESS: 2835 N. Brookfield Road
PHONE: (262) 439-8393
OWNER: Tom Dircks
TYPE OF BUSINESS: Custom and hand-built acoustic guitar retailer
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution