Why is the speed limit different on the northbound and southbound sides of Brookfield Road?
Need answers? We've got 'em
Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community - like playground equipment or a pothole - that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy answers some of the mysteries of life in the Elmbrook area and helps solve everyday problems.
The Question: A reader wants to know why the speed limit is different on the northbound and southbound sides of Brookfield Road between Gebhardt and Bluemound roads. She finds this confusing and has never seen this anywhere else.
The Answer: The quick answer is that the speed limit is 30 mph in both directions on Brookfield Road between Bluemound Road and Wisconsin Avenue and 35 mph in both directions between Wisconsin and Gebhardt, said Public Works Director Tom Grisa said.
The city and town lowered the speed limit to 30 mph on the section between Bluemound Road and Wisconsin Avenue when they lowered the hill alongside the road to improve safety, he said. If they hadn't lowered the speed limit, they would have had to lower the hill more, which would have cost more money.
If you are driving south along Brookfield Road at Wisconsin Avenue, you'll see a speed limit sign that reads 30 mph because that is the limit for the upcoming section of road. If you are traveling north at the same intersection, you'll see a sign that reads 35 mph because that is the limit for the section north of Wisconsin Avenue.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?
- Ask NOW: Public meeting addresses future of Eble Park
- Ask NOW: Will the dog swimming area at Fox Brook Park re-open?
- Ask NOW: How does the local senior taxi service work?
- Ask NOW: Is it legal to drive with headphones on?
- Ask NOW: Do I need to get a license for my pets?
- Ask NOW: When is it too early to cut your grass?
- Ask NOW: Can an underage person drink alcohol if they are with a parent?
- Ask NOW: When will Brookfield expand its recycling program?
- Ask NOW: Does the Brookfield Public Library routinely forgive fines?
- Ask NOW: What happens to blood after it's donated?
- Ask NOW: Has the city of Brookfield surveyed the white tail deer population this winter?
- Ask NOW: What happened to the Elm Grove Inn?
- Ask NOW: How are traffic cameras being used?