In the midst of a historic recession, Kathy Koberstein took a risk few others would even consider. Her decision to change careers was and remains an enormous leap of faith, but it's one Kathy relishes as the owner of the new You Go Yoga.
"In this economy, I've twice quit a secure, reasonably high-paying job to try to decide what I want to be when I grow up," she joked.
Koberstein is a professor by trade, having taught French for many years at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va. She left to take care of her mother in Florida. She had begun teaching Spanish in Florida but decided to return to her roots on the west side of Milwaukee.
"I've always done yoga. I did yoga before yoga was cool, and I originally did it because it was just fun. Things just grew from there," Koberstein said. "When I left teaching, it just seemed natural. I love to teach, and this is a combination."
At her studio in the Park 'n Shop Plaza, she is hoping to create an intimate setting where people can be active, but also learn how to relax and relieve stress.
"I think the world right now, we're living in a culture that has so much negativity and so much fear, and people's lives are so packed and so busy - to offer people a place to come and tools and techniques to deal with that, to stay clear-headed, I think everybody needs that," she said.
Koberstein said she won't be doing the increasingly trendy bikram, or "hot," yoga because she believes if you have to heat your muscles to make them perform a certain action, then you probably shouldn't be performing that action.
However, the certified yoga instructor and yoga therapist will offer special programs to those recovering from injuries or other ailments.
"I will see what the demand is, both in terms of numbers and in terms of what people need. You want to meet people where they are and what they want," she explained.
Koberstein said she wasn't trying to be particularly witty when she thought of the name of her business, You Go Yoga.
"Don't ask me why, (the name) just was fun, and it does convey sort of a playful spirit with a serious intent."
She plans to open You Go Yoga by the end of the month.
Just the Facts
BUSINESS: You Go Yoga
ADDRESS: 13425 Watertown Plank Road, Elm Grove
OWNER: Kathy Koberstein
PHONE: (262) 623-4300
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Stores to open doors earlier on Thanksgiving at Brookfield Square
- Brookfield East students spend four days out in the wilderness for 'Trees For Tomorrow' workshop
- Brookfield, Elm Grove governments give more to senior taxi service
- Brookfield Library Recommendations: Nov. 20
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 20
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Irgens opens TIF talks in Brookfield, gets approval on other steps
- Neumann hopes for more success in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Nov. 20
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel