According to Elm Grove officials, construction on Watertown Plank Road, and traffic problems associated with it, is coming along as planned - though the traffic problems have improved since work began.
We Energies has finished working out some power line issues at 124th Street and Watertown Plank Road, which has allowed Time Warner Cable to also come in and work on their lines in that area.
Storm sewer work will continue this week, as will the outline for curbing, as the project takes shape.
Village officials said contractors on schedule and have been told that Phase 2 of the plan will be finished on time by early September.
Curbing will be put in place next week, with driveway work and sidewalk installation to follow. In two to three weeks the actual paving process will begin, and a great deal of the major construction will be completed, officials said.
Elm Grove Police Chief Jim Gage said officers have noticed a change in driver behavior as the marked detour routes are becoming used more frequently. He added there have been no major accidents as a result of the construction, and officers have been out doing extra enforcement to make sure people are maintaining proper speeds through construction zones.
Village Manager Dave De Angelis did mention a problem with some drivers ignoring the cones and going down Watertown Plank Road the wrong way as a shortcut. Police are aware of such issues, and Gage reminds drivers that fines are doubled in work zones.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Notes: Dec. 18
- Brookfield public hearing brings out sizable support for quarry housing proposal
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Brookfield shoppers advised to take caution
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Dec. 11
- Town of Brookfield welcomes potential new partner on The Corners development
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Dec. 18
- Local artist Sue Lawton writes and illustrates 'The Fire Keepers' for Sharon Lynne Wilson Center
- Brookfield Public Library recommendations: Dec. 18
- Weekly Planner: Dec. 18