Two Brookfield men were charged with possessing heroin after one of the men allegedly overdosed on the drug in a Waukesha apartment.
Christopher R. Reistad, 22, and Cale J. Russo, 21, were charged with felony counts of possession of narcotic drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Aug. 3.
They are scheduled to make initial court appearances Aug. 22.
According to the criminal complaint:
Waukesha police officers and paramedics were called to an apartment in the 1200 block of Lambeth Road for a possible overdose in October.
Russo was unconscious and Reistad was sitting on a couch, mumbling incoherently.
Russo was rushed to Waukesha Memorial Hospital and gained consciousness in the ambulance on the way.
Reistad, who struggled to keep his eyes open and answer questions, handed an officer a pill bottle containing 0.1 grams of marijuana when asked what he had taken. He was taken to the hospital, where he vomited pills that were too digested to identify.
At the apartment, officers found a spoon encrusted with heroin residue in Reistad's room and a knife encrusted with heroin residue in Russo's room.
Syringes and other prescription pills were found throughout the apartment.
Russo later told officers he had injected a half-gram of heroin - $90 worth - before he lost consciousness.
He also said he had been taking heroin and prescription pills two or three times a day.
In addition to the narcotic and paraphernalia charges, Reistad was charged with possessing marijuana. He faces a maximum sentence of more than four years in prison.
If Russo is convicted of possessing narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia, he faces a maximum sentence of more than 3½ years in prison.
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Video: Elmbrook Education Foundation awards first student grant
- BEAST Robotics advances to World competition
- Sunset's 'Christmas Carol' features Dickens himself
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18