A former bookkeeper of Brookfield-based Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment is accused of using a company credit card to draw cash advances and make unauthorized purchases totaling nearly $40,000 to fund her drug habit, according to a criminal complaint.
Nicole D. Buchert, 36, of West Allis has been charged with theft in a business setting totaling more than $10,000, identity theft and fraudulent use of a credit card in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
She faces a maximum sentence of 26 years in prison if convicted on all three felony counts.
According to the criminal complaint:
Buchert obtained a company credit card in her name while she worked as a bookkeeper for Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment, 17020 Pheasant Drive, in August, 2010.
Between August and February, Buchert racked up $38,501 in unauthorized cash advances and purchases on the account.
She told police she was addicted to cocaine and other drugs and was "stressed out" after borrowing money from friends.
Buchert told officers she used the card to fill people's cars with gasoline in exchange for drugs and purchased $100 gift cards to sell for $50 in order to buy drugs.
She also made 17 cash advances on the account totaling nearly $12,000.
Donald Goyette, owner and general manager of Mailwaukee Mailing Equipment, told police in February that Buchert had made the unauthorized transactions.
He said she was authorized to use the account to obtain records, but she wasn't authorized to obtain a company credit card with her name on it.
Buchert is scheduled to make an initial court appearance on the charges Aug. 31.
- Video: Elmbrook Education Foundation awards first student grant
- BEAST Robotics advances to World competition
- Sunset's 'Christmas Carol' features Dickens himself
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: June 18