A home in the 700 block of Oakwood Lane caught fire because cooking oil was left unattended, according to City of Brookfield firefighters.
According to a Fire Department press release:
Firefighters responded to the home at 770 Oakwood Lane about 6 p.m. and discovered smoke billowing from the front door and kitchen windows.
The owner was at home and said nobody was inside.
Unattended cooking oil started the top of the stove on fire.
Damage to the home is estimated at $40,000. The fire was contained to the kitchen, but the rest of the home was damaged by smoke.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Imagination runs wild in Brookfield East's spring play, 'Twelfth Night'
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Social Security informational session next week at the Elm Grove Library
- New Elm Grove business to offer outlet for creativity
- Elm Grove church still considering cell tower
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: April 9
- High-end men's salon coming to Elm Grove
- School funding cuts are a hot topic at a Wauwatosa listening session (1)