A home in the 700 block of Oakwood Lane caught fire because cooking oil was left unattended, according to City of Brookfield firefighters.
According to a Fire Department press release:
Firefighters responded to the home at 770 Oakwood Lane about 6 p.m. and discovered smoke billowing from the front door and kitchen windows.
The owner was at home and said nobody was inside.
Unattended cooking oil started the top of the stove on fire.
Damage to the home is estimated at $40,000. The fire was contained to the kitchen, but the rest of the home was damaged by smoke.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield council sends well head amendment back to committee
- Program allows students to honor influential teachers
- Brookfield, Elm Grove businesses donate hundreds of items to Women's Center
- Annual parade a source of pride in Elm Grove
- Public Forum: City leaders stray from the Comprehensive Plan
- Public hearing focuses on would-be village tied to towns of Brookfield and Waukesha
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: May 7
- Waukesha County updates categorization of dangerous animals
- Elm Grove woman passes on skating legacy to youth
- In Our Schools: May 7, 2015