When Jeff DeCoste and his fiancé, Christine Dossett, set about looking for a business opportunity last year, they didn't have to look further than their backyard for inspiration.
"Pest control was a good fit for us because Brookfield is swampland, so it's crawling with mosquitoes," said Decoste, who also owns Cleaning Authority, a residential cleaning company. "Mosquito Squad is similar to our other business in that it's route-based and has repeat customers. We felt comfortable with that type of operation."
The couple launched their second business in May and - despite a cooler-than-normal June - DeCoste reports that the first Mosquito Squad franchise in the state has had a busy season.
"We've had about 300 customers so far," said DeCoste, whose territory currently includes residential, commercial and municipal clients in Waukesha, Milwaukee and Ozaukee counties. "We were very busy from Memorial Day through mid-July. It'll still be warm on Labor Day, and we'll continue to treat until at least the middle of October."
Mosquito Squad's services include 21-day barrier spray and 14-day all natural protection against bugs, mosquitoes and ticks.
"Mosquitoes aren't just nuisances, they're a real health concern," DeCoste said. "The West Nile virus is a mosquito-borne illness that can be fatal, and Lyme Disease is a tick-borne illness that can have long-term health consequences.
"There are different ways to protect yourself against these insects, but people should know that it's much safer to treat trees and shrubs than to apply chemicals to themselves and their children."
For information about Mosquito Squad, log on to MosquitoSquad.com.
To suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Mosquito Squad
ADDRESS: 225 Regency Court, Suite 101, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 784-9480
OWNERS: Jeff DeCoste and Christine Dossett
TYPE OF BUSINESS: pest control
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Focus on customer satisfaction and your business will be successful."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: March 5
- Greenfield School Board might use sale proceeds to possibly improve middle school
- Elmbrook Education Foundation announces plan to create $5 million endowment fund over five years
- Public Forum: The Corridor project is worthy of city support
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: March 5
- Elm Grove, business association aim to team up on more effective marketing of the community
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Feb. 26
- 36 donate hair at St. Dominic's annual event
- Learning Rx: Theater teaches skills, vocabulary — and confidence