Few businesses - much less start-ups - can point to the sluggish economy as a reason for their success. Georgie Consignment For Her is a rare exception.
"In a way, the recession contributed to helping us exceed our revenue goal for the year," said Pam Rische, who opened her Elm Grove establishment in March, 2011. "Women haven't been able to afford to buy high-end clothing at full price as much as they used to. But at Georgie Consignment, they can not only find great accessories, jewelry and name-brand apparel from the likes of Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and J. Crew at discounted prices, but medium- to high-end department store merchandise and designer labels, as well."
Real estate also has played a key role in Georgie's success. The store lies in the Village Court shopping plaza, next to Nora B's restaurant and, Rische said, often attracts customers from the eatery.
Once inside, she continued, shoppers are drawn to the store's zebra and pink décor - as well as to its fashionable inventory.
"We're very selective in the consignments we accept," she said. "The Elm Grove community has a demand for high-end women's garments, so our items must be stylish, clean and show no signs of wear."
Georgie Consignment has a civic-minded bent, holding toy drives during the holidays, hosting a fashion show to benefit a humane society, and donating any clothing that has been in stock for more than 60 days - and which the consigner does not want returned - to homes for less-fortunate women.
In business less than a year, Rische already is making expansion plans for 2012.
"We hope to have a second store up and running before too long," she said. "Our customers have responded so well to our efforts at making high-end shopping a fun and affordable experience that we'd like to grow the Georgie Consignment brand throughout the Elm Grove/Brookfield area."
To suggest a business for the Business Spotlight, email email@example.com.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Georgie Consignment For Her
ADDRESS: 890 Elm Grove Road, Building No. 2, Suite 106, Elm Grove
PHONE: (262) 754-0004
OWNER: Pam Rische
TYPE OF BUSINESS: clothing consignment store
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Never pay full price for awesome attire."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC
- Brookfield's O' What a Day Cafe strives to make any day a good day to stop in