Elm Grove will keep its annual fireworks display on the Fourth of July holiday instead of moving it to Labor Day.
The summer's drought and extreme heat made it unsafe to shoot off fireworks in July, so the village postponed the display to Labor Day, throwing a community event in Village Park in September. It proved popular, prompting the Recreation Committee on Thursday to discuss when to hold fireworks in the future.
The panel was against ending the traditional Fourth of July fireworks display in favor of a late-summer display, but was open to having a second display over Labor Day weekend - if private funding can be found.
"It (Labor Day) was packed and every other surrounding community has Fourth of July activities and fireworks," committee member Paul Schmidt said. "We'd be unique to have this event to differentiate us and possibly bring more people to our community."
Other committee members agreed the Labor Day festivities were a success, but pointed out that having police officers provide crowd control at two fireworks displays during the summer would be costly for the village.
"I agree it was packed and brought people in, but to have two would not be fiscally feasible," committee member Jack Nelson said.
The fireworks display will remain on the Fourth of July holiday, but the panelists said they would welcome a Labor Day event if an outside donor covered the costs of police overtime, fireworks and clean-up.
"If another group or donor wants to step forward and spearhead a Labor Day display, we'd consider it," Nelson said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Oct. 23
- Brookfield church organizes packing event to send 96,000 meals to Ebola patients in Liberia
- Elm Grove man takes reins of Wisconsin Philharmonic
- Business spotlight: Brookfield dry cleaner emphasizes efficiency and economy for customers
- On the Move: Oct. 23
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Oct. 23
- Brookfield, hungry for housing, studies plans for hundreds of new apartments
- Things to Do: Oct. 23