Ask NOW: Has the city of Brookfield surveyed the white tail deer population this winter?
Issue: A reader wants to know how many deer might be frolicking in our backyards and throughout the city.
Status: I'm sure many readers have sipped their morning coffee, looked out the window and seen deer grazing in the backyard. It's easy to wonder how many there are in our area.
In 2011, Gov. Scott Walker issued an executive order for an "independent, objective review of Wisconsin's deer management practices." The $125,000 project was supervised by the Department of Administration and paid for with DNR funds.
The final report was released in June and offers 62 recommendations.
Wisconsin wildlife officials are planning a series of meetings this month, and asking the public to help shape a new management plan that could alternate how the DNR estimates deer population.
Here in Brookfield, I can't give you an exact number, but I can narrow it down. Bill Kolstad, director of parks, recreation and forestry, says the city annually monitors deer population from the sky. Helicopter surveillance shows that there are roughly 350 deer in the Brookfield and Elm Grove area. It's enough for the city to implement a reduction management program.
In 2001, the Common Council adopted several management recommendations from the city's Deer Task Force. Those strategies included public education and the use of trained, professional sharpshooters and trapping.
For more information about local deer herds, call the Deer Program Information line at (262) 796-6711.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: When will Brookfield expand its recycling program?
- Ask NOW: Does the Brookfield Public Library routinely forgive fines?
- Ask NOW: What happens to blood after it's donated?
- Ask NOW: What happened to the Elm Grove Inn?
- Ask NOW: How are traffic cameras being used?
- Ask NOW: Who's responsible for clearing snow in city?
- Ask NOW: Driver annoyed she can't turn left at 144th and Capitol
- Ask NOW: Are more changes planned for Imperial Park?
- Ask NOW: Where are city vehicles repaired?
- Ask NOW: Reader doesn't like Capitol Drive sidewalks
- Ask NOW: Is Brookfield still trying to incorporate?
- Ask NOW: What's the story behind the Stagecoach Inn Museum?
- Ask NOW: Eble farm house torn down due to poor condition
- Ask NOW: Manhole frames recessed for a reason
- Ask NOW: Bluemound Road lanes are narrower now
- Ask NOW: Addresses too hard to see along Bluemound Road
- Ask NOW: Are any new stores on their way to Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: Does Brookfield have enough water?
- Ask NOW: Are there coyotes in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: Is library's checkout process really most efficient?