The Elmbrook Humane Society has announced that Charley, a dog who had been brought to the shelter after being found floating on a chunk of ice in the Kinnickinnic River in mid-March, has been adopted.
The 2-year-old Charley is a pug/shepherd mix.
Charley's adoption story began with misfortune for his previous owner, a Milwaukee County resident that lost a house due to financial strain. Not able to care for several animals, Charley's owner shipped him to a family friend.
On March 17, a man spotted Charley floating on ice in the Kinnickinnic River. He alerted police, who rescued him. He was taken to the Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission. His owner wanted him to go to a no-kill shelter, so he wound up at Elmbrook.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove approves of gourmet grilled cheese
- Parkside 23, with a garden out back, pays attention to the seasons
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Planner: Oct. 30
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Oct. 23
- Nov. 4 ballot features six contested races
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Oct. 30
- Elm Grove levy projected to increase 1.03 percent
- Brookfield still pecking at chicken issue
- Elm Grove waste removal to remain the same