The Elmbrook Humane Society has announced that Charley, a dog who had been brought to the shelter after being found floating on a chunk of ice in the Kinnickinnic River in mid-March, has been adopted.
The 2-year-old Charley is a pug/shepherd mix.
Charley's adoption story began with misfortune for his previous owner, a Milwaukee County resident that lost a house due to financial strain. Not able to care for several animals, Charley's owner shipped him to a family friend.
On March 17, a man spotted Charley floating on ice in the Kinnickinnic River. He alerted police, who rescued him. He was taken to the Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission. His owner wanted him to go to a no-kill shelter, so he wound up at Elmbrook.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Oct. 23
- Brookfield church organizes packing event to send 96,000 meals to Ebola patients in Liberia
- Elm Grove man takes reins of Wisconsin Philharmonic
- Business spotlight: Brookfield dry cleaner emphasizes efficiency and economy for customers
- On the Move: Oct. 23
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Oct. 23
- Brookfield, hungry for housing, studies plans for hundreds of new apartments
- Things to Do: Oct. 23