Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? NOW answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and Elm Grove.
Do I need to get a
license for my pets?
Question: A reader is wondering what the rules are for licensing a pet, and how to go about doing so.
Answer: According to the city of Brookfield's website, state law requires all dogs be licensed if they are 5 months or older.
In the city, the pet owner must bring the dog's proof of rabies vaccination to the Police Department, 2100 N. Calhoun Road, or the information desk at City Hall, 2000 N. Calhoun Road.
There will be a license fee of $10 for neutered/spayed dogs or $15 for unaltered dogs.
Cats do not need to be licensed.
Licenses must be purchased by March 31 each year to avoid a $5 late fee. New residents or residents with newly acquired dogs will not be charged a late fee.
In Elm Grove, licenses can be obtained, with proof of rabies vaccination, at the Police Department, 13600 Juneau Blvd., or at the Elmbrook Humane Society, 20950 Enterprise Ave. The fees are the same as in the city, including the potential for a $5 late fee after March 31.
The town of Brookfield fee for a dog license is $7 per spayed/neutered dog and $12 for an unaltered dog. Apply for a license at Town Hall, 645 N. Janacek Road.
Submit your question to firstname.lastname@example.org or online at BrookfieldNOW.com/ask.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Ask NOW: Are there local families who will use a food pantry this Thanksgiving?
- Ask NOW: Why are there barriers at Brookfield Road and North Avenue?
- Ask NOW: Will sidewalks on Capitol Drive be cleared of snow this winter?
- Ask NOW: Are little roadside libraries allowed in Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: What are costs of maintaining and demolishing Eble Park barn?
- Ask NOW: Who is responsible for cutting the grass along the new sidewalk on Capitol Drive?
- Ask NOW: Public meeting addresses future of Eble Park
- Ask NOW: Will the dog swimming area at Fox Brook Park re-open?
- Ask NOW: How does the local senior taxi service work?
- Ask NOW: Is it legal to drive with headphones on?
- Ask NOW: When is it too early to cut your grass?
- Ask NOW: Can an underage person drink alcohol if they are with a parent?
- Ask NOW: When will Brookfield expand its recycling program?
- Ask NOW: Does the Brookfield Public Library routinely forgive fines?
- Ask NOW: What happens to blood after it's donated?
- Ask NOW: Has the city of Brookfield surveyed the white tail deer population this winter?
- Ask NOW: What happened to the Elm Grove Inn?
- Ask NOW: How are traffic cameras being used?
- Ask NOW: Who's responsible for clearing snow in city?