David Washechek, a 49-year-old Milwaukee man, is being charged for fleeing an officer while driving drunk on Interstate 94 about 2:40 a.m. March 10. If convicted, he faces up to $10,000 in fines and three and a half years in prison.
According to the criminal complaint, Washechek was driving 80 miles per hour on Interstate 94 near Calhoun Road and deviating from his lane before a state trooper pulled him over near Highway 18 in the town of Brookfield.
When the trooper knocked on his passenger window, Washechek reportedly looked at him, put the car back into drive and accelerated away. Washechek was going about 110 miles per hour when the trooper caught back up to him.
Despite the trooper's lights and sirens, Washechek continued westbound, exited at Highway F and did not stop until coming to a red light. The trooper then cut off Washechek's path with his car and, with backup, made contact with him.
The trooper smelled alcohol and noticed Washechek's eyes were red and glassy. Washechek repeatedly stated he was on his way to work. After a field sobriety test, Washechek was arrested for drunken driving. His blood alcohol content was .32.
Washechek's hearing is March 24. He posted a $1,500 bond.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Stores to open doors earlier on Thanksgiving at Brookfield Square
- Brookfield East students spend four days out in the wilderness for 'Trees For Tomorrow' workshop
- Brookfield, Elm Grove governments give more to senior taxi service
- Brookfield Library Recommendations: Nov. 20
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 20
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Irgens opens TIF talks in Brookfield, gets approval on other steps
- Neumann hopes for more success in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Nov. 20
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel