Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
Question: From a reader: "I am wondering why there is a stop sign on the northern end of Main Street, just north of Brookfield Square, where it meets the eastern end of Wisconsin Avenue. There are no options than to turn for either direction."
Response: At the northern end of Main Street, north of Bluemound Road, a stop sign halts drivers making a left turn onto Wisconsin Avenue or going straight into Crusan Golf Academy.
Most of the time, said Public Works Director Tom Grisa, vehicles can flow right past each other, with westbound traffic on Wisconsin Avenue turning right, and northbound traffic on Main Street arcing around it. But because some traffic on Wisconsin Avenue could turn left into the golf course, crossing the path of traffic from Main Street, Grisa said the city decided it was necessary to control traffic.
Additionally, the city's goal is to extend Wisconsin Avenue east to Elm Grove, which would further necessitate the stop. Grisa said the extension is not in the current five-year capital improvement plan, and it is not currently moving forward. The move would require cooperation on the part of Elm Grove, which would receive the Wisconsin Avenue traffic on Pilgrim Parkway.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Ask Now: Does the city police department collect prescription drugs?
- Ask Now: Who reviews city architecture?
- Ask Now: Who guards the lifeguards from the sun?
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?