Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
Question: From a reader: "I am wondering why there is a stop sign on the northern end of Main Street, just north of Brookfield Square, where it meets the eastern end of Wisconsin Avenue. There are no options than to turn for either direction."
Response: At the northern end of Main Street, north of Bluemound Road, a stop sign halts drivers making a left turn onto Wisconsin Avenue or going straight into Crusan Golf Academy.
Most of the time, said Public Works Director Tom Grisa, vehicles can flow right past each other, with westbound traffic on Wisconsin Avenue turning right, and northbound traffic on Main Street arcing around it. But because some traffic on Wisconsin Avenue could turn left into the golf course, crossing the path of traffic from Main Street, Grisa said the city decided it was necessary to control traffic.
Additionally, the city's goal is to extend Wisconsin Avenue east to Elm Grove, which would further necessitate the stop. Grisa said the extension is not in the current five-year capital improvement plan, and it is not currently moving forward. The move would require cooperation on the part of Elm Grove, which would receive the Wisconsin Avenue traffic on Pilgrim Parkway.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?