Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Reader wants to pass left-turning cars on Burleigh
Question: A reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. He said cars often stop to turn left in the middle of Burleigh Road between Pilgrim Road and 124th Street, where there is only one lane in each direction. He asked: "When a car is making a left-hand turn and waiting for oncoming traffic, is it legal to cross the white line and drive on the shoulder of the road to get around the car?"
Response: The answer is yes.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam said cars are allowed to cross over solid white lines and bike lanes anywhere in the city, in order to pass left-turning cars on the right. There's just one important caveat: the area must be clear.
Adlam said drivers must check for bikers and other traffic on the right before crossing over the lines.
"But if there's nothing there, and they can do it safely, it's allowed," Adlam said.
This goes for cars turning left at intersections, as well as cars turning into driveways and parking lots mid-block.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident worried about pedestrians at Kinsey Park
- Ask NOW: How should residents handle suspicious solicitors?
- Ask NOW: Reader concerned about wooden path on Brookfield Road
- Ask NOW: Reader's question leads to signage change
- Ask NOW: Will Elmbrook Church respond to the gun left in the bathroom?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Ask NOW: What can residents do about phone scams?
- Ask NOW: Is the emerald ash borer coming to Brookfield?