Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Reader wants to pass left-turning cars on Burleigh
Question: A reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. He said cars often stop to turn left in the middle of Burleigh Road between Pilgrim Road and 124th Street, where there is only one lane in each direction. He asked: "When a car is making a left-hand turn and waiting for oncoming traffic, is it legal to cross the white line and drive on the shoulder of the road to get around the car?"
Response: The answer is yes.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam said cars are allowed to cross over solid white lines and bike lanes anywhere in the city, in order to pass left-turning cars on the right. There's just one important caveat: the area must be clear.
Adlam said drivers must check for bikers and other traffic on the right before crossing over the lines.
"But if there's nothing there, and they can do it safely, it's allowed," Adlam said.
This goes for cars turning left at intersections, as well as cars turning into driveways and parking lots mid-block.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?