Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Reader wants to pass left-turning cars on Burleigh
Question: A reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. He said cars often stop to turn left in the middle of Burleigh Road between Pilgrim Road and 124th Street, where there is only one lane in each direction. He asked: "When a car is making a left-hand turn and waiting for oncoming traffic, is it legal to cross the white line and drive on the shoulder of the road to get around the car?"
Response: The answer is yes.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam said cars are allowed to cross over solid white lines and bike lanes anywhere in the city, in order to pass left-turning cars on the right. There's just one important caveat: the area must be clear.
Adlam said drivers must check for bikers and other traffic on the right before crossing over the lines.
"But if there's nothing there, and they can do it safely, it's allowed," Adlam said.
This goes for cars turning left at intersections, as well as cars turning into driveways and parking lots mid-block.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Elm Grove Ask Now: Palmer's plans?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Should bicyclists be on pathways?
- Ask Now: Elected officials' time off?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- Ask Now: What ever happened to all the changes for Capitol Drive?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will BEGIN host more programs?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Does Mayor Steve Ponto want to run for higher office?
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?