Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
Question: Two weeks ago, a reader asked for clarification on what is allowed when he is behind a left-turning car that has stopped to wait for oncoming traffic. The response was that it is OK for drivers to cross into the shoulder or bike lane in order to go around a left-turning vehicle.
Kenneth Kern would like to know if cars are allowed to physically go off of the road in order to complete this maneuver. Kern expressed concern particularly with Gebhardt Road, where he has seen drivers leaving the pavement and going over grassy areas in order to pass.
Response: The answer is no.
Brookfield Police Captain Jim Adlam says that cars are not allowed to physically go off of the road while passing on the right.
Adlam noted that going onto the gravel that may line the side of a street is allowable, as it is considered part of the roadway; however, any further can result in a traffic citation.
"If they're going onto the grass, it's not allowed," Adlam said.
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?