Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
How many elm trees are actually in Elm Grove?
Question: The village of Elm Grove's name certainly brings up a certain image, but how many elm trees are actually located in the village at this time?
Response: There are 814 elm trees currently in the municipality. The 814 make up nearly 10 percent of the village's 8,500 total trees.
"I try to plan for as many different varieties as I can, and elm is included as one of them," village forester Ron Hill said. "We've done everything from sugar maple to oak trees."
Hill noted that he very much tries to encourage diversity among the trees that decorate the village's streets and yards.
"If someone has two maples growing in their front yard, I try to convince them to do a different species on the right of way. Diversity is a key," Hill said. "I'm not going to be the forester who left just one plant type for the next guy."
Hill said his department plants between 40 and 60 trees per year, which usually includes between 10 and 20 elm trees.
"It all depends on what's out there and what's available," he said.
Dutch Elm disease remains an issue for elm trees and those within Elm Grove are injected with a pathogen designed to help the tree build an immunity to the fungus.
"One thing that American elms were so good at is that they could seed out and start growing anywhere. The reproduction is great," Hill said. "There are little elms trying to make it all over the place."
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?