A 33-year-old Milwaukee man was accused of his fourth impaired driving offense Sunday, June 15, in the city of Brookfield.
Troy Leisten was charged Monday, June 16, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with operating a vehicle while intoxicated and driving with a revoked license. He faces up to seven years in prison and $12,500 in fines if convicted.
Leisten has three prior OWI convictions dating back to July, 2005.
According to the criminal complaint, Brookfield police initiated a traffic stop on Leisten after witnessing his car drift between lanes and nearly collide with another vehicle.
The officers noted Leisten smelled strongly of intoxicants and described his speech as "slurred" and his eyes as "glassy and bloodshot."
Police allegedly asked Leisten four times to perform some field sobriety tests, but he refused.
"I told you, I'm not going to exit (my vehicle)," Leisten said in the complaint.
The officers then arrested Leisten and searched his car, finding what appeared to be marijuana and a hash pipe alongside a container of alcohol.
According to court records, Leisten posted his $2,000 cash bond on conditions that he maintains absolute sobriety, reports to a state-sponsored drunk-driving program and refrains from operating any vehicle without a proper license.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday, July 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove, business association aim to team up on more effective marketing of the community
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Feb. 26
- 36 donate hair at St. Dominic's annual event
- Learning Rx: Theater teaches skills, vocabulary — and confidence
- Grilled cheese specialty restaurant Tom and Chee plans spring opening in Elm Grove
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Feb. 12
- Limited ballot awaits Brookfield, Elm Grove voters
- Business Notes: Feb. 12
- News & Notes: Feb. 12, 2015