Brookfield businesses should be on the lookout for counterfeit bills.
A New Berlin resident attempted to use a counterfeit $100 bill at Open Pantry, 17235 W. Bluemound Road, last week.
Town of Brookfield Police Lt. Detective Sean Schmidt noted that the town has only seen one incident of this specific type of counterfeiting, but that there have also been multiple cases of fraudulent bills by a different method.
"What we usually see is people take a $5 bill and bleach it and then they print a $100 or a $50 bill on that," Schmidt said.
Bleaching a smaller bill and re-printing a larger bill's value on the same paper allows counterfeiters to have their product pass the pen test, which reveals illegitimate paper.
"This (latest) case wasn't even real paper, this was just someone printing the bill," Schmidt said. "It's kind of obvious."
While the fake at Open Pantry was not going to win any costume contests, Schmidt does note that fraudulent bills through the bleaching process are relatively common.
"On average we get maybe 10 a year. The bleaching, that used to always work. We've started talking to our retailers," Schmidt said.
Schmidt noted that while bleaching can result in a passing grade on the pen test, the bill's watermark will remain.
"If you have a bill with Benjamin Franklin printed on it, but an Abraham Lincoln watermark, that's kind of a giveaway," Schmidt said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: June 18
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Elm Grove to host summer movies series
- Author Spike Carlsen to Appear at Elm Grove Library