Elm Grove - A 31-year-old Kenosha County man was killed in a tree cutting accident shortly before 10 a.m. Friday at a home in the 14100 block of St. George Court, village police said.
Dale Simek of Trevor died after the tree on which he was working collapsed and he fell to the ground, Assistant Police Chief Gus Moulas said.
Simek was part of a three-member crew from Affordable Tree Care of Sturtevant that was cutting down the large tree.
Simek was about 42 feet above the base of the tree, removing an upper section, when the lower part of the tree became unstable and fell, Moulas said in a news release.
It appeared Simek suffered traumatic injuries as a result of the fall, Moulas said. Simek was secured by safety harnesses attached to the tree.
The other two workers were on the ground and were not injured.
Simek had worked for the company for four years, according to police.
Elm Grove police, the Waukesha County medical examiner's office and the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating, Moulas said.
An autopsy will be conducted.
- Mike Johnson
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield council sends well head amendment back to committee
- Program allows students to honor influential teachers
- Brookfield, Elm Grove businesses donate hundreds of items to Women's Center
- Annual parade a source of pride in Elm Grove
- Public Forum: City leaders stray from the Comprehensive Plan
- Public hearing focuses on would-be village tied to towns of Brookfield and Waukesha
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: May 7
- Waukesha County updates categorization of dangerous animals
- Elm Grove woman passes on skating legacy to youth
- In Our Schools: May 7, 2015