Those planning the 50th anniversary celebration of the village of Oconomowoc Lake couldn't have asked for a better day. The Oconomowoc Lake Club was the setting for the Aug. 2 gathering. Vintage luxury cars and boats displayed in the parking lot added to the retro feeling.
Inside, Village Administrator and Police Chief Don Wiemer had arranged a display of his pictures and artifacts from an earlier time. Especially interesting was an array of photos of the vintage mansions that once circled the lake.
Co-chairs of the celebration were village residents Mimi and Joe Birbaum, Wiemer and Sue and Mike Bickler. Other village residents who worked on the anniversary committee included Andi and Paul Clarkson, Gail Schwartz, Meme and Jeff Fellows, John Macy, Dave Barquist, Betty Jo Nelson, Paul Fisher, Anne and Ray Foster, Trish Shult, Cindy Schlieve, Village President Richard Kneiser and his wife, Carol, and Mary Schiefelbein.
Those attending the event gathered inside the Lake Club ballroom, where both Wiemer and Richard Kneiser welcomed them. Attendees who voted on the village's original incorporation petition 50 years ago were asked to stand and be recognized. A proclamation from County Executive Dan Vrakas in honor of the anniversary was presented to Kneiser by village resident and County Supervisor Dave Falstad. State Sen. Neal Kedzie and state Rep. Steve Nass also presented a legislative citation to Kneiser.
In addition to Kneiser, those who have served as village president since the incorporation 50 years ago are Malcolm Rogers, Burdette Binney, Reimer Perkins, David McCalla, William Roberts, Benn Dipasquale, Ted Templeton, William Roberts and Ray Foster.
Also attending the celebration were Vern and Marion Reed, who are longtime residents and great supporters of the village.
Lorayne Ritt covers Waukesha County's nonprofit organizations. Let her know about your event by calling (262) 542-6797.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: June 18
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Elm Grove to host summer movies series
- Author Spike Carlsen to Appear at Elm Grove Library