The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation was founded in 1970 by parents of children with diabetes. Their mission was to find a cure for the disease and its complications through supporting research. In a typical year, more than 85 percent of their expenditures directly support that research. See photos from this event.
On Aug. 9, JDRF held a fundraiser at Marjorie Clark Takton's Elm Grove home. The daughter of Emory Clark, she has honored his success as the founder of Clark Oil Co. by creating a museum of the company's memorabilia, including a Clark gasoline pump, on the lower level of her 24,000-square-foot French-style chateau.
JDRF awarded a three-year $825,000 grant to Dr. Martin Hessner, associate professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the Medical College of Wisconsin and the director of the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes, for his work on type 1 diabetes. He spoke to guests at the benefit about the progress being made through research.
Some of the guests at the gathering were Sharon Ahmad, Susan Freedy, Thomas Kelly, Delores and Frank Lorenz, Mike Sullivan and Judy Thompson, all of Elm Grove; Carrie and Dale Boehm, and Colleen and Bob Tarantino, all of Hartland; and Lisa and John Bryson, Jill Feitz, Constance and James Heyden, Dawn and Jon Jester, Vickie Shult, and Karen and John Silseth, all of Brookfield; Cathy Brocksmith of New Berlin; Marge Hilden of Pewaukee; Kristina Hoffman of Oconomowoc; Andrea Urban of Waukesha; and Penny Van Wyhe of Mukwonago.
Committee members for the event were Candy Barone of Shorewood, Suzanne Frank of Waukesha, Wendy Hanisch of Wauwatosa, Laurie Heid of Milwaukee, Bill Johnson of Jackson, Kim Palmer of Waukesha, Victoria Pink of Sussex and DeeAnn Rochester of New Berlin.
Lorayne Ritt covers Waukesha County's nonprofit scene. Let her know about your event by calling (262) 542-6797 or sending a fax to (262) 650-0275.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News & Notes: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Town of Brookfield officials remain confident despite slow pace on The Corners
- Brookfield man nears end of quest to run a marathon in every state
- Taste of the Town: RiverMill Cafe in Elm Grove
- Brookfield water utility lead operator wins award with invention
- Elm Grove approves 2015 budget, 1.03 percent levy increase
- Elmbrook Education Foundation's annual Ladies Night fundraiser to help meet $100K goal