About 20 We Energies customers remain without power as of 9 a.m. this morning after high winds plagued the area Tuesday night. But they are expected to have power restored by 11 a.m.
The power failure affected Tonawanda Elementary School, 13605 Underwood River Parkway, and Village Hall, 13600 Juneau Blvd., and residents on Hollyhock Lane, Underwood River Parkway and Legion Drive.
The village's phone system relies on power, thus residents trying to get through to Village Hall will be unable to do so.
Students at Tonawanda also are getting the day off. Those students won't need to make up the lost class time, said Melinda Mueller, district spokeswoman, because the extra school day is built into the district's calendar.
Even if power returns today, students won't, Mueller said.
We Energies customers in Elm Grove experienced a large outage when 1,200 customers lost power about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday, said Brian Manthey, a spokesman for the utility.
A line was reported down at Wrayburn Road and Hollyhock Lane. Manthey said a tree was most likely involved, but it was unknown if a limb fell or just hit the wires. However, wires colliding with each other in high winds can also cause a line to fall, he said.
Power was restored to a majority of customers just before midnight. The remaining customers are estimated to have power by 11 a.m., Manthey said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Stores to open doors earlier on Thanksgiving at Brookfield Square
- Brookfield East students spend four days out in the wilderness for 'Trees For Tomorrow' workshop
- Brookfield, Elm Grove governments give more to senior taxi service
- Brookfield Library Recommendations: Nov. 20
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Nov. 20
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Irgens opens TIF talks in Brookfield, gets approval on other steps
- Neumann hopes for more success in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: Nov. 20
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel