Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Reader worried about pedestrians at Kinsey Park
Question: A reader said she has noticed pedestrians having to run "at breakneck speeds" to cross Elm Grove Road at Robinwood Street to get to and from Kinsey Park, especially after 5 p.m., when drivers are commuting home from the Bishop's Woods office park. She asked: "Has there been any discussion to putting a pedestrian crossing sign with the reminder that you are to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk? I am afraid that someone is going to get hit since the crossing is at the bottom of two hills."
Response: At the intersection of Elm Grove Road and Robinwood Street, there are signs in both directions warning drivers of the impending crosswalk to Kinsey Park, but the signs are marked with bicycles.
Public Works Director Tom Grisa said the crosswalk is meant to be for both bikes and pedestrians, but the city decided to choose just one for the signs. They went with bikes because they thought the path would be more often used by bikers as part of the city's Greenway Corridor plan. Grisa said cars should stop and yield to anyone crossing the road there, but it is difficult to enforce.
"I'd like to tell you the signs make a big difference," Grisa said. "More often than not it's driver behavior. We can't drive the vehicles for the people."
Even though pedestrians have the right of way in the intersection, he urged them to be extra careful when crossing.
"I tell people all the time, you as a pedestrian and bicyclist still have a responsibility to make sure that motorists are aware of your presence, because even if you have the right of way, it doesn't help when you're lying on the pavement and you got hit by a car."
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?
- Ask Now: How is Elm Grove's future park plan coming along?