Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and Elm Grove and helps solve everyday problems.
Feedback on the completed pathway along Juneau Boulevard in the village of Elm Grove has been largely positive. When will the village continue to expand its pedestrian options?
Answer: The village does have some preliminary plans to build more paths along arterial roads; however, all construction is at least five years away.
"The Village Board has looked at other paths," said Elm Grove Village Manager Dave DeAngelis. "They wanted to get (the Juneau) pathway done and then look at prioritizing other ones. We are looking at putting them into our regular five-year capital plan."
The village's five-year capital plan is a rotating plan that foresees future expenses. No other pathways in the village are currently in the plan, and, as such, any further construction of pathways in Elm Grove is at least five years away.
The village's top priorities for additional pathways would include construction on Watertown Plank Road west of Highland Drive, along Gebhardt Road, along Highland and from Westover Road to Pilgrim Park Middle School.
"The discussion around having off-road pathways is for those high-traffic areas with visibility issues," DeAngelis said. "It gets people off the streets. Our streets in some places are so narrow."
He added that it is difficult to estimate the cost of a pathway due to the wide variety of factors that can affect the bottom line.
"Each one is completely different because it totally depends on where it is, how much grading you have to do, whether there's storm water involved," DeAngelis said. "It can be relatively inexpensive to extremely expensive."
The Juneau Boulevard pathway came in under budget, with Elm Grove having set aside around $300,000. The final total came in at $271,695.
Email your questions to Geoff Bruce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Wisconsin Ave. extension still in the works?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Why are lanes closed on Bluemound Road?
- Ask Now: Do park hours change with the seasons?
- Ask Now: More roundabouts coming?
- Ask Now: How do I get an idea to the common council?
- Ask Now: Soil samples taken at Pilgrim and Gebhardt in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Why the yellow blinking arrows?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What's up with Fun World?
- Ask Now: Does the city get involved when similar businesses seek to open?
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Ask Now: Does the city police department collect prescription drugs?
- Ask Now: Who reviews city architecture?
- Ask Now: Who guards the lifeguards from the sun?
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?