Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Reader notices signs missing at school zone on Gebhardt
Question: A reader noted that Gebhardt Road has a "school zone" sign for eastbound traffic outside St. John Vianney School, but lacks signage for westbound traffic. She asked: "Is that considered a school zone or not? Not very well-marked for the children."
Response: I asked Public Works Director Tom Grisa about the signage, and he said it was the city's mistake and he will fix it.
Gebhardt Road has two school zones near Calhoun Road, one to the east for Brookfield Central High School, and one to the west for St. John Vianney. Grisa said Brookfield Central has signage for eastbound and westbound traffic, but for some reason St. John Vianney was only ever marked for eastbound traffic.
"You have a very observant reader," Grisa said. "We appreciate someone bringing it to our attention. Normally we're pretty good about putting one in both directions."
Grisa said it would probably take about a week to get the sign into place, which, like the other "school zone" signs, will direct drivers to slow to 15 miles per hour when children are present. The normal speed limit on the road is 35.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?