Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Rory Linnane answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Reader notices signs missing at school zone on Gebhardt
Question: A reader noted that Gebhardt Road has a "school zone" sign for eastbound traffic outside St. John Vianney School, but lacks signage for westbound traffic. She asked: "Is that considered a school zone or not? Not very well-marked for the children."
Response: I asked Public Works Director Tom Grisa about the signage, and he said it was the city's mistake and he will fix it.
Gebhardt Road has two school zones near Calhoun Road, one to the east for Brookfield Central High School, and one to the west for St. John Vianney. Grisa said Brookfield Central has signage for eastbound and westbound traffic, but for some reason St. John Vianney was only ever marked for eastbound traffic.
"You have a very observant reader," Grisa said. "We appreciate someone bringing it to our attention. Normally we're pretty good about putting one in both directions."
Grisa said it would probably take about a week to get the sign into place, which, like the other "school zone" signs, will direct drivers to slow to 15 miles per hour when children are present. The normal speed limit on the road is 35.
Submit your question for Ask NOW by sending an email to Rory Linnane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Brookfield AskNOW for June 26: Where are the jobs?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident wonders when he is allowed to pass on the right