Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Who's got more money?
Question: Between the City of Brookfield and the Village of Elm Grove, which municipality is wealthier per household?
Response: According to a relatively brief look at U.S. Census data, the Village of Elm Grove appears to be the wealthier municipality per household.
According to quickfacts.census.gov, the Village of Elm Grove has higher median values of owner-occupied housing units and higher median household incomes.
The median value of owner-occupied housing units refers to the exact middle of values obtained from respondents in the census. The median divides the value distribution into two equal parts: One-half of the cases falling below the median value and one-half above. Median values are rounded to the nearest hundred dollars. Each value is the respondent's estimate of how much their property, including both house and lot, would sell for if it were for sale.
This tabulation includes only one-family houses on less than 10 acres without a business or medical office on the property.
The median value of owner-occupied housing in Elm Grove is $375,700. Meanwhile, the median value of owner-occupied housing in the City of Brookfield is $280,800.
Median household income refers to the middle of household incomes in data obtained by the census. Household income includes the income of the householder and all other individuals 15 years old and over in the household, whether they are related to the householder or not.
The City of Brookfield's median household income according to the U.S. Census Bureau is $88,012. Meanwhile, Elm Grove's median household income is listed as $109,933.
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is Mitchell Park getting winter recreational trials?
- Ask Now: Is the roundabout at Brookfield Road and North Avenue working as it should?
- Ask Now: How long will 124th Street be closed?
- Ask Now: Is Big Brother watching you?
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: The weeds are back — who is responsible?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Will sidewalks remain after North Avenue is widened?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Is River Birch Drive a public trail or a private drive?
- Ask Now: Is Goodwill still coming to Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Capitol Heights?
- Ask Now: Are well owners hooked up to city water required to get permit?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove looks toward more walking paths
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?