Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Where are the jobs?
Question: What companies employ the most people in Brookfield?
Response: According to a 2012 phone survey conducted by the city of Brookfield, the largest employer in the municipality is Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, which employs approximately 1,176 people.
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare consists of Elmbrook Memorial Hospital, Wheaton Franciscan Medical Group, and Franciscan Woods Nursing Home.
The city's second-largest employer is BMO Harris Bank, N.A., which employs 992 people. Next is the Elmbrook School District, which employs 850 full-time employees and 250 part-time employees.
Other companies that employ 500 or more people in Brookfield are FISERV, an information management company for lending and banking institutions; US Bank; and Thomas Reuters, a data processing, hosting, and related services company.
The City of Brookfield itself employs 358 full-time employees.
City of Brookfield Economic Development Coordinator Tim Casey says that it's no surprise who the largest employers in the city are.
"It's pretty common that any municipality that has a hospital will see that healthcare company leading its job numbers," Casey said. "And school districts are always up there too."
Casey says that the City tends to do a survey of employee numbers every few years.
"We generally do one when a bond issue comes up. For example, when we go before bond ratings like Moody's, they want to know about your local economy," Casey said. "That includes who your top employers are."
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: Fewer meetings? Same pay?
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Ask Now: Is Brookfield's population really that old?
- Ask Now: How much is public service worth in the city of Brookfield?
- Ask Now: Is there wifi at Brookfield city hall?
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When does Brookfield send the plows out?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield or Elm Grove have more library lovers?
- Ask Now: Where should Brookfield residents take their Christmas trees?
- Ask Now: Does Elmbrook Humane Society leave animals outside?
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Ask Now: Wireless dead zones, what is to be done?
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: What's happening in Brookfield at I-94 and Moorland?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will the Watertown Plank railroad crossing be smoother?
- Ask Now: Path sharing problems in Brookfield?