Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Where are the jobs?
Question: What companies employ the most people in Brookfield?
Response: According to a 2012 phone survey conducted by the city of Brookfield, the largest employer in the municipality is Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, which employs approximately 1,176 people.
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare consists of Elmbrook Memorial Hospital, Wheaton Franciscan Medical Group, and Franciscan Woods Nursing Home.
The city's second-largest employer is BMO Harris Bank, N.A., which employs 992 people. Next is the Elmbrook School District, which employs 850 full-time employees and 250 part-time employees.
Other companies that employ 500 or more people in Brookfield are FISERV, an information management company for lending and banking institutions; US Bank; and Thomas Reuters, a data processing, hosting, and related services company.
The City of Brookfield itself employs 358 full-time employees.
City of Brookfield Economic Development Coordinator Tim Casey says that it's no surprise who the largest employers in the city are.
"It's pretty common that any municipality that has a hospital will see that healthcare company leading its job numbers," Casey said. "And school districts are always up there too."
Casey says that the City tends to do a survey of employee numbers every few years.
"We generally do one when a bond issue comes up. For example, when we go before bond ratings like Moody's, they want to know about your local economy," Casey said. "That includes who your top employers are."
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What's going on with Plaza 173?
- Ask Now: How many furry friends are in need?
- Ask Now: How does annexation actually work?
- Ask Now: Should Brookfield bikers be excited?
- Ask Now: What's going on with Burger King in the Town of Brookfield?
- Ask NOW: Which side is the rich side of town?
- Ask NOW: How many elm trees does the Village of Elm Grove actually have?
- Ask NOW: Where did the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts get its name?
- Ask NOW: Should people take more care with their lawn care?
- Ask NOW: Can cars go over grass in order to pass on the right?
- Ask NOW: Reader wonders if bicyclists should use pathways
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident wonders when he is allowed to pass on the right
- Ask NOW: Brookfield resident worried about pedestrians at Kinsey Park
- Ask NOW: How should residents handle suspicious solicitors?
- Ask NOW: Reader concerned about wooden path on Brookfield Road
- Ask NOW: Reader's question leads to signage change
- Ask NOW: Will Elmbrook Church respond to the gun left in the bathroom?
- Ask NOW: Why is there a stop sign at Main Street and Wisconsin Avenue?
- Ask NOW: What can residents do about phone scams?
- Ask NOW: Is the emerald ash borer coming to Brookfield?