Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
Where are the jobs?
Question: What companies employ the most people in Brookfield?
Response: According to a 2012 phone survey conducted by the city of Brookfield, the largest employer in the municipality is Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, which employs approximately 1,176 people.
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare consists of Elmbrook Memorial Hospital, Wheaton Franciscan Medical Group, and Franciscan Woods Nursing Home.
The city's second-largest employer is BMO Harris Bank, N.A., which employs 992 people. Next is the Elmbrook School District, which employs 850 full-time employees and 250 part-time employees.
Other companies that employ 500 or more people in Brookfield are FISERV, an information management company for lending and banking institutions; US Bank; and Thomas Reuters, a data processing, hosting, and related services company.
The City of Brookfield itself employs 358 full-time employees.
City of Brookfield Economic Development Coordinator Tim Casey says that it's no surprise who the largest employers in the city are.
"It's pretty common that any municipality that has a hospital will see that healthcare company leading its job numbers," Casey said. "And school districts are always up there too."
Casey says that the City tends to do a survey of employee numbers every few years.
"We generally do one when a bond issue comes up. For example, when we go before bond ratings like Moody's, they want to know about your local economy," Casey said. "That includes who your top employers are."
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at email@example.com.
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What makes a left turn arrow appropriate?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Any thoughts of turkey population control?
- Ask Now: Why can trains blow horns in Brookfield?
- Brookfield Ask Now: When will Calhoun Road be improved?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Is there any thought of banning dogs at the farmers market?
- Ask Now: What are Ponto's other priorities, beyond development?
- Ask Now: Do police keep those who live near crime scenes more informed?
- Ask Now: Are there any special rules for owners of pit bulls?
- Ask Now: Can you move snow into the street in Brookfield?
- Ask Now: How much are TIFs costing the city?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: What will be done about the Elm Grove railroad crossing?
- Brookfield Ask Now: What are the plow drivers up to?
- Ask Now: How is Elm Grove's future park plan coming along?