A fire that caused $210,000 in damage to a home on Bonnie Lane on Sunday night remains under investigation, according to the city of Brookfield Fire Department.
A woman reported fire in the back hallway of her home at 18300 Bonnie Lane just before 11 p.m. Sunday.
Fire Chief Charlie Myers said the woman and her daughter evacuated the home when they smelled smoke, and no injuries were reported.
According to a news release from the fire department:
City of Brookfield firefighters radioed for mutual assistance from town of Brookfield and village of Elm Grove firefighters when the found heavy smoke and fire rapidly spreading to a garage.
It took about 25 minutes to bring the fire under control. Fire damaged the central area of the house and the garage. The rest of the house was damaged by heat and smoke.
The cause of the fire is under investigation but preliminary findings indicate it may have started in a clothes dryer.
"From what we saw, it looked like the homeowners took good care of the dryer vent and made sure it was clean, so we think this may potentially be some other problem that occurred with the dryer," Myers said.
The family is unable to stay in the home and is staying with friends, Myers said.
Firefighters from West Allis and Lisbon manned the City of Brookfield Fire Station No. 1 while the blaze was being extinguished.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Imagination runs wild in Brookfield East's spring play, 'Twelfth Night'
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Social Security informational session next week at the Elm Grove Library
- New Elm Grove business to offer outlet for creativity
- Elm Grove church still considering cell tower
- Ask Now: Why is work being done at the Quarry?
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: April 9
- High-end men's salon coming to Elm Grove
- School funding cuts are a hot topic at a Wauwatosa listening session (1)