Brookfield teacher makes SMART decision at St. Dominic
LaFlamme started advanced science program in 2001
Donna LaFlamme recently received quite the gift from her eighth-graders at St. Dominic in Brookfield: a new iPad.
It was simply a way to show their appreciation for LaFlamme and what she has done for the school — particularly the SMART Team program.
SMART Team, which stands for Students Modeling A Research Topic, pairs research mentors from local institutions with students.
Students visit a mentor’s laboratory to learn more about the process of science and the particular protein the mentor studies; then the team designs and builds a model of the protein.
The teams work with their mentor to develop a poster and an oral presentation to explain their molecular story, which the students at 18 area schools, all high schools except for St. Dominic, did last month at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
LaFlamme, St. Dominic’s SMART Team adviser, was the one who started the program at the school 11 years ago; she has mentored about 220 students during the intervening years.
"What the kids do amazes me," said LaFlamme, who is certified by the MSOE Center for BioMolecular Modeling. "They’re doing things I didn’t do until grad school. This is way beyond the classroom."
LaFlamme entered the classroom as a teacher after working at a bank on Wall Street and a bioengineering lab at Columbia University in New York.
She got her teaching certificate at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and taught at St. Joan Antida High School before moving to St. Dominic in 1989.
During this time, she took classes at UW-Madison in the Teacher Enhancement Program for Biology Teachers, designed to help teachers keep up with the latest developments in molecular biology.
It was through this program that LaFlamme connected with the SMART Team program.
"At first, I was not sure that eighth-graders could handle the intense level of learning involved, but they could and did," she said.
To recommend a person be featured in Someone You Should Know, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6634.
JUST THE FACTS
NAME: Donna LaFlamme
NOTED FOR: founding St. Dominic SMART Team
QUOTABLE: "Being part of the SMART Team and seeing the amazing abilities of the 13- and 14-year-olds has kept me excited about teaching science, even after teaching for 30 years."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove's new recreation director brings varied experiences
- Trimble takes over as meal program coordinator at Brookfield Senior Center
- Wehrley quickly rising through the ranks in the entertainment business
- Revers' diverse music résumé on full display at St. John Vianney
- Smyczek's tennis career heading in right direction
- Maguire honored for faith-based service
- MacLeod leads quilting club at Brookfield Senior Center
- Gordon thrilled to be new St. John Vianney principal
- Martin excited to be leading Brookfield East's athletic program
- Brookfield Central grad to tell musical story from Broadway career
- Balsiger makes name for himself with restoration work over years
- Brookfield mom sets record, raises money for LifeStriders
- Wightman finds magic in his novel, 'Pepperland'
- Brookfield mother, daughter create worldwide fundraiser to help Boston Marathon victims
- Believe coach spreads positive energy around area
- Haney honored for giving children gift of music
- Marter finds joy in Elmbrook ministry partner program
- Elm Grove woman earns award for helping others succeed
- Elm Grove's Larry Sorce ready to be your next volunteer
- Professional dancer brings ballet talents to Brookfield church