Holly Bilicki claims to never have a bad day on the job — an assertion which has nothing to do with her insistence that she doesn't work for a living.
"I'm fortunate to do what I love," said the owner of The Colour Tube, a hair salon located in Brookfield. "But I also realize that I'm in the minority, because some of my clients express dissatisfaction with their jobs. I can't fix that, but I can help them feel better about themselves when they look in the mirror."
Customers see in their reflection, according to Holly, a natural beauty, accented by her extensive collection of organic hair care products. Holly, a vegetarian, believes that The Colour Tube's gluten free and vegan offerings are on the cutting edge of the beauty industry's next trend.
"People are starting to care as much about what they put on their bodies as what they put in them," she said. "Women who are cancer survivors or who have certain allergies are especially sensitive to artificial makeup and hair coloring. Yet, they still want to look pretty, so we meet their beauty needs with our all-natural products."
Named by WISN as one of the top hair salons in southeastern Wisconsin for 2013, The Colour Tube offers a number of services, including haircuts, nail treatments and makeup application.
Since opening her business in 2004, Holly has embarked on quarterly educational trips that she considers critical to her future success to national and international salons and beauty industry conventions.
"I always take away something useful from my visits, such as ways to work with head shapes when cutting hair, as no two heads are the same," said Holly. "I have to keep experimenting, because I don't want to run the risk of turning into a cookie-cutter salon.
"Many treat their clients like a number. I'm untraditional. I ask my clients what kind of work they do for a living, what they like and don't like about their hair and how much time they want to spend on it, before crafting a shape that conforms to their features and personality."
For more information, visit colourtube.com/
JUST THE FACTS
Business name: The Colour Tube
Address: 13860 W. Greenfield Ave., Brookfield
Phone: (262) 641-7538
Owner: Holly Bilicki
Type of business: Hair salon
Pearls of wisdom: Be your own kind of beauty
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annual roadwork is full steam ahead in Greenfield and West Allis
- Brookfield council sends well head amendment back to committee
- Program allows students to honor influential teachers
- Brookfield, Elm Grove businesses donate hundreds of items to Women's Center
- Annual parade a source of pride in Elm Grove
- Public Forum: City leaders stray from the Comprehensive Plan
- Public hearing focuses on would-be village tied to towns of Brookfield and Waukesha
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: May 7
- Waukesha County updates categorization of dangerous animals
- Elm Grove woman passes on skating legacy to youth