An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Taste of the Town: Penelope's in Elm Grove, with its varied menu, thrives in the heart of the villag
- Elm Grove family key to Vietnam program
- Brookfield church using a game to decrease environmental impact
- In wake of theft spree, Brookfield police give gym safety tips
- Business Notes: Oct. 2
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 2
- Town of Brookfield plays a waiting game on The Corners
- Brookfield dog rescue operation tries to find a place in life for every dog
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?
- New state program helps find missing Brookfield man