An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Town commission recommends approval for pair of Poplar Creek requests
- Elm Grove woman wins local entrepreneur challenge
- Ask Now: What is going on with the Capitol Drive water tower?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: July 30
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: July 30
- Brookfield market celebrates 25 years
- Hiking at Philmont teaches lifelong lessons to scouts from Brookfield school
- Brookfield and Elm Grove things to do: week of July 30
- City of Brookfield to host 17th National Night Out
- Brookfield man charged after alleged stabbing