An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Grab a Bite: Elm Grove's Le Cakery more than just pastries
- Brookfield firefighters reunite with baby born at Goerke's Corners Park & Ride
- Ask NOW: When do the street lights go on?
- Sensenbrenner tells Brookfield Republicans flag should not have been lowered for Mandela
- Anti-aging spa coming to Elm Grove in January
- IP addresses lead to arrest in Elm Grove office burglary
- Brookfield Square plans emphasize light, outside entrances
- Elmbrook refinances debt services at lower rate, saves taxpayers $350,000
- Former Brass owner reminisces in new book
- Brookfield company sends holiday cheer to troops abroad