An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Jan. 15
- Former town of Brookfield Kmart could house five new businesses
- Lisbon Road remains untapped development mine for Brookfield
- Ask Now: Will Anthem College in Brookfield be replaced?
- Arrests don't put an end of homicide's impact in Waukesha and for Brookfield family
- Brookfield Library Recommendations: Jan. 22
- Human trafficking documentary to be screened at Brookfield theater
- Town of Waukesha wins appeal in Town of Brookfield's annexation effort
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Brookfield East High School's Business Education Department recognized by council of Gov. Scott Walk