An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
- Brookfield I-94 eastbound crash cleared, all lanes open
- I-94 at Moorland Road in Brookfield delayed by accident
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: June 2
- Brookfield Suites completes transformation to Embassy
- Elm Grove debates contracting with a community planner
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Does Mayor Steve Ponto want to run for higher office?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: June 2
- SURG to close HŌM Wood Fired Grill Brookfield location
- Anti-suicide effort aims to extend its work
- Elm Grove Village Market Night to debut in June