An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
- Elmbrook names Sobocinski as new assistant superintendent for business services
- Judge orders mental evaluation of Brookfield man charged with shooting neighbors
- Improvements delayed at Pilgrim-Burleigh in Brookfield
- Brookfield Central student charged for bomb scare
- New Starbucks to anchor retail building at Sendik's Towne Centre in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: June 23
- Brookfield gears up for July 4 events
- Brookfield aldermen OK Artisan apartments, public funding
- Brookfield council reaffirms committee's denial of TIF referendum referral
- Brookfield Fire Department plans $1 million in renovations to one of its stations