An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- High-end men's salon coming to Elm Grove
- School funding cuts are a hot topic at a Wauwatosa listening session
- Brookfield may alter zoning to make city more welcoming to health clubs
- Ask Now: Elm Grove meetings online?
- Midwest Gaming Classic to bring plenty of fun to Sheraton
- Elm Grove Junior Guild's Tree of Giving returns
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Notes: March 19
- Ask Now: What are Brookfield's policies for abandoned houses?
- Early beginnings: Brookfield Central High senior becomes accomplished student composer
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design