An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Corners gets approval, town funding
- Tax case, Sileno talks run up city legal fees
- Ask NOW: What is the procedure for plowing snow?
- Brookfield likely to renew contract to attract visitors
- City trails ahead in its Greenway path plans
- Former mayor Jeff Speaker will challenge Steve Ponto in Brookfield
- German Holiday Market grows in second year
- Brookfield Square plans for 9 new stores, 70,000 square foot expansion
- Donations light up Elm Grove library
- Elm Grove's 2014 budget reflects healthcare savings