An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
- Elm Grove to rule on new parks plan tonight
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: May 26
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: May 26
- Sports Authority to close Brookfield store, all stores nationwide
- Best Summer Ever: Five great summer reads
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Brookfield committee directs police department to begin prescription drug drop box program
- Brookfield committee to discuss prescription drug drop boxes in the city
- Brookfield committee discusses TIF referendum option, no action taken
- In Elm Grove, it's identity theft season