An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30
- Residents, officials pleased with improvements at Calhoun Road railroad crossing in Brookfield
- Brookfield and Elm Grove In Brief: Elm Grove Library hosting a celebration of supper clubs
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: June 30
- Brookfield residents unsatisfied by reduced levels of lighting at Golf Parkway
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: June 30
- Brookfield committee to study beekeeping
- Brookfield Senior Meals: Week of July 4
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Things to Do: June 30