An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Nile Virus found in Brookfield
- Elmbrook School District enrollment exceeds projections, includes diverse students
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Sept. 3
- New service aims to help kids with social and communication skills
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: Sept. 3
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News IQ: Sept. 3
- Ask Now: Soil samples taken at Pilgrim and Gebhardt in Brookfield
- Brookfield autumn Parks & Rec registration approaching
- Unity Center of Light church looking to put down roots in Brookfield
- Bus shelters topic coming back to Brookfield