An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Notes; May 5
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- In Brief: No truth to rumors that Elm Grove Sendik's will close, village president says
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: May 5
- Elmbrook Schools to host first Fine Arts Festival
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: May 5
- Elm Grove and AT&T still in a standoff over Watertown Plank bridge
- Brookfield/Elm Grove In Our Schools: May 5
- Brookfield's Borkowski to spend summer touring with Kids from Wisconsin