An elderly woman who was rescued from her burning home in Elm Grove on Sunday has succumbed to injuries she sustained in the fire, police said Thursday.
Barbara P. Gardner, 91, was in her home in the 14900 block of Watertown Plank Road on Sunday when the fire started. She called 911, and Elm Grove police and fire departments responded at 12:26 p.m. Firefighters rescued the woman from the first floor. Elm Grove EMS took her to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Once stabilized, she was transferred to the burn center at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital in Milwaukee.
That's where Gardner died from her injuries at 6:26 p.m. Wednesday while she was being treated, Elm Grove Police said in a news release Thursday.
"The exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the investigation continues, with the assistance from personnel of the State Fire Marshal's Office," the release said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield police warn of scams, warm weather crime
- Ask Now: Why the bends in Pilgrim Road?
- Imagination runs wild in Brookfield East's spring play, 'Twelfth Night'
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Learning Rx: Brookfield East students compete in Moody's Mega Math Challenge and win honorable menti
- Elmbrook student, teacher named 2015 Herb Kohl Excellence Scholarship and Fellowship recipients
- Brookfield looks to put finishing touches on 124th Street Commerce District
- Social Security informational session next week at the Elm Grove Library
- New Elm Grove business to offer outlet for creativity