For Helen Tselentis and her husband, Theo, Cosmos Cafe is truly a labor of love. The couple used to run the fish fry at Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church.
"People used to tell us all the time that we should open our own place," Helen said.
In 2009, after a lot of "coaxing and compliments" from friends and neighbors, they opened Cosmos Cafe.
Set back a bit from the hustle and bustle of North Avenue, Cosmos Cafe serves Greek and Mediterranean food that has become a favorite in Wauwatosa.
"Everything is fresh - cooked and hand-packed the minute you order it," she said.
The gyros ($5.50) and the fish fry ($9.50) are two signature menu items. Other favorites include the jerk chicken ($6.50) and the Mediterranean Ssalad ($7, or $9.50 with chicken). Tselentis also highlighted another item: "Our burgers ($5.50 to $6.50) rival the best burgers in town."
The entire Tselentis family takes part in the day-to-day operation of Cosmos Cafe, and Helen and her husband consider the restaurant one of their children.
"It's definitely been a learning process," she explained. "But it's been so fun to grow in this community. People come from all over the area - that makes us really proud. Running this restaurant is like watching our baby grow."
Like any proud parent, Helen Tselentis is happy to tell you what's great about her baby: "We don't scream that we're good, delicious and fresh food, but we are," she said.
NAME: Cosmos Cafe
ADDRESS: 7203 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa
FARE: Greek, Mediterranean
HOURS: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday
PRICE RANGE: $5 to $11.50
HANDICAPPED ACCESS: yes
GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS: Yes, please ask.
LOOKING TO 'GRAB A BITE'?
"Grab a Bite" is an informal look at the food scene in the Wauwatosa, Brookfield and Elm Grove area by freelance writer Karen Waldkirch. Whether you're looking for a place for a date night or a casual spot for lunch, Waldkirch will be out and about scouting eateries for you. If you have a suggestion for a column, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Breakfast is back at Cosmos Cafe
- Elm Grove's Le Cakery more than just pastries
- Red Dot aims to duplicate East Side success in Wauwatosa
- There's No Place Like Hom Woodfired Grill
- Mo's Irish Pub: A lively Irish American neighborhood eatery
- Sluggo's Sports Pub & Grill: Back in business on Burleigh
- Tall Guy and a Grill: BBQ finds new heights
- Cocina DeLeon: Old-world gourmet Mexican you make at home
- Burke's Irish Castle carrying on a local Irish legacy
- Albanese's Roadhouse serves up generations of Italian blessings
- BelAir Cantina: A breezy, Cali-Mex casual eatery
- Jake's: More than just steak and potatoes
- Sherbrooke: A bit of Canada right in Tosa, eh
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Caroline's, with homemade lunch and sweets just like mom made
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove
- Drink in a bit of island life at Jimmy's Island Grill and Iguana Bar in Wauwatosa
- North Avenue Grill Same name, new owner
- North Avenue Grill: Same name, new owner