For Helen Tselentis and her husband, Theo, Cosmos Cafe is truly a labor of love. The couple used to run the fish fry at Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church.
"People used to tell us all the time that we should open our own place," Helen said.
In 2009, after a lot of "coaxing and compliments" from friends and neighbors, they opened Cosmos Cafe.
Set back a bit from the hustle and bustle of North Avenue, Cosmos Cafe serves Greek and Mediterranean food that has become a favorite in Wauwatosa.
"Everything is fresh - cooked and hand-packed the minute you order it," she said.
The gyros ($5.50) and the fish fry ($9.50) are two signature menu items. Other favorites include the jerk chicken ($6.50) and the Mediterranean Ssalad ($7, or $9.50 with chicken). Tselentis also highlighted another item: "Our burgers ($5.50 to $6.50) rival the best burgers in town."
The entire Tselentis family takes part in the day-to-day operation of Cosmos Cafe, and Helen and her husband consider the restaurant one of their children.
"It's definitely been a learning process," she explained. "But it's been so fun to grow in this community. People come from all over the area - that makes us really proud. Running this restaurant is like watching our baby grow."
Like any proud parent, Helen Tselentis is happy to tell you what's great about her baby: "We don't scream that we're good, delicious and fresh food, but we are," she said.
NAME: Cosmos Cafe
ADDRESS: 7203 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa
FARE: Greek, Mediterranean
HOURS: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday
PRICE RANGE: $5 to $11.50
HANDICAPPED ACCESS: yes
GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS: Yes, please ask.
LOOKING TO 'GRAB A BITE'?
"Grab a Bite" is an informal look at the food scene in the Wauwatosa, Brookfield and Elm Grove area by freelance writer Karen Waldkirch. Whether you're looking for a place for a date night or a casual spot for lunch, Waldkirch will be out and about scouting eateries for you. If you have a suggestion for a column, email her at email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Caroline's, with homemade lunch and sweets just like mom made
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove
- Drink in a bit of island life at Jimmy's Island Grill and Iguana Bar in Wauwatosa
- North Avenue Grill Same name, new owner
- North Avenue Grill: Same name, new owner
- Andrea's Red Rooster a spot for business or casual dining
- Highlands Café: Tosa natives expand restaurant
- Café Hollander: Upscale and Belgian-themed
- Jose's Blue Sombrero has tableside fun with a Mexican flair
- Balistreri's: The secret is in the staff and the recipes
- Slim McGinn's West a touch of Irish hospitality in Brookfield
- The Open Hearth a cozy 'easy chair' for generations of diners
- Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon: The name says it all
- John's Sandwich Shop: A neighborhood favorite for nearly 50 years
- Murf's a tucked-away jewel offering great value in Brookfield
- Hui's: Classic Cantonese and an extended family
- 8-Twelve offers big-league menu, farm-to-table food
- Rocket Baby: Delighting with artisan bakery