"We always enjoy the artwork from students each year," said Gaylene Townsley, co-chair of the 43rd annual art competition sponsored by the Elm Grove Woman's Club.
The club is challenging Elmbrook School District students in grades nine through 12 to enter the contest and compete for scholarships by submitting three original pieces of artwork in any medium from 5 to 7 p.m. March 20 at the organization's clubhouse, 13885 Watertown Plank Road.
Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to two graduating seniors who will be enrolled in an accredited college. The students do not have to major or minor in art to receive the scholarships. In addition, one $250 art grant will be awarded to a student in grades nine through 11.
Competitors need to attach to each piece of art an official entry form that is available from district art teachers or can be downloaded from the Elm Grove Woman's Club site, www.egwc.org.
An independent, anonymous panel of judges will review the artwork March 21, and the winners will be revealed during the reception and art show at 7 p.m. March 22.
"We get art in almost every medium, including ceramics, oils, charcoal, water colors, fabrics and photography," Townsley said. "We have noticed an increase in computer-generated art."
For information, call the Elm Grove Woman's Club at (262) 782-5930.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: June 18
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Elm Grove to host summer movies series
- Author Spike Carlsen to Appear at Elm Grove Library