The whole family had a blast recently for "Bats, Bees, and Butterflies" at the 2nd Annual Village Earth Day at the Elm Grove Public Library.
The free day of fun gave a crowd of more than 100 people the chance to learn about the fascinating habits of these animals, what they contribute to our world and the challenges they face.
Special presenters Dr. John Whitcomb (bats), Denise Palkovich (bees) and Barb Agnew (butterflies) provided a hands-on approach enjoyed by all ages.
Children also flipped for the story of Flip the caterpillar, and his journey to becoming a butterfly, which featured a special interpretive dance created especially for the event by Lady of the Lourdes parishioner Theresa.
After the story, children made their own butterflies to celebrate Earth Week while adults enjoyed an entertaining and informative film, "The Incredible Journey of the Butterflies."
There was an organic lawn care workshop, where Maribeth Sullivan from Waukesha County Recycling showed everyone the latest approaches to keeping a green and healthy lawn through organic practices.
The Earth Day event was sponsored by The EDGE, the Elm Grove Library, the Elm Grove Garden Club, Waukesha County Recycling and the Greendale Garden Club.
The fun does not stop there though, as the Elm Grove Library will kick off its annual summer library program June 16, featuring plenty of exciting activities every week and all summer long.
For more details, visit ElmGroveLibrary.org or call (262) 782-6717.
Noah Weckwerth is the adult services librarian at the Elm Grove Public Library.
- Video: Elmbrook Education Foundation awards first student grant
- BEAST Robotics advances to World competition
- Sunset's 'Christmas Carol' features Dickens himself
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: June 18