Brandon D. Freeman, a 25-year-old man without a listed address, faces up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines if convicted of being a party to the crime of taking property from the Brookfield Place gas station, 3075 N. 124th St., about 8:30 p.m. April 20, 2013.
Freeman was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Tuesday, April 1.
Police identified Freeman from fingerprints left on a discarded Pringles can with pennies inside the gas station.
According to the criminal complaint:
The clerk at Brookfield Place said a man had come in that evening with the can and dumped a heap of pennies on the counter to count them. At that time, another person entered the store and headed straight for the storage area. When the clerk asked the second person if he could help him, that person demanded all of the store's Newport cigarettes and all of the cash in the register.
Neither man displayed a gun, but the clerk said he was scared because the second person looked like he had a mask on and it appeared there was a bulge near his hip that the clerk thought might be a weapon.
The second person put about 60 packs of Newport's cigarrettes and about $760 in cash into a bag, and both men left the store. A witness said he saw them run together across 124th Street and jump over a decorative wall at 3030 N. 124th St.
Freeman's bail was set at $15,000.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Aug. 28
- Weekly Planner: Aug. 28
- Ask Now: Traffic signal, but no traffic?
- Video: Brookfield Harley lover is 100 and still biking
- Plaza 173 project in Brookfield has residents concerned
- Business Spotlight: Shoe Carnival's goal is to make shopping fun
- Elm Grove approves paving bids for 124th Street and Elmhurst Parkway
- Teachers as well as athletes to get coaching in Greenfield schools
- Makeover on schedule for Brookfield's 124th Street Commerce District
- News & Notes: Aug. 28, 2014 issue