Friends' traumas inspire massage therapy business
Bodyworks caters to clients of all ages
Massage therapy is more than a career to Jesse Walters; its roots are personal.
"Several years ago, I instinctively began giving massages to my critically ill, infant niece and then to a close friend who was in a coma," Walters said. "I had no formal education or training. The massages were done naturally and with love. I just wanted to help. They both recovered, and these experiences were my springboard for becoming a massage therapist."
After earning her state license and certification from Milwaukee's Lakeside School of Massage Therapy in 2007, Walters opened Bodyworks Massage in Brookfield. The practice offers wellness packages, a course on how to perform infant massage and classes on breast cancer awareness and body core strengthening, as well as a wide range of massage therapy services, including Swedish, deep tissue and Shiatsu.
Oftentimes, she said, her therapy provides an alternative to surgery.
"Many occasions when we treat a client for the first time, they don't tell us everything about their health history," she said. "This was the case when I treated a woman who, I could tell by the way she was carrying herself, had lower back trouble. When we finished the session, she said 'I'm in love. I'm going to come back all the time.' Turns out, she was scheduled to undergo back surgery the following day. When she followed up with her doctor, she was told that surgery was no longer necessary. I had a similar experience with a client, who was scheduled to undergo rotator cuff surgery, but after one session at our practice didn't need it after all."
The treatments are part of what Walters said is her practice's commitment to providing clients with customized healing solutions.
"Everyone's body is different, requiring different levels of touch and pressure," she said. "At Bodyworks, clients aren't judged by their bodies. As a lower-back pain-sufferer in the past, I can empathize with clients' pain. I want them to feel safe and comfortable. The rest comes naturally."
For information on Bodyworks Massage, visit BodywrksMassageBrkfld.com.
T o suggest a business for this spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
ADDRESS:240 Regency Court, Brookfield
TYPE OF BUSINESS: massage therapy
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "You take care of your car, why not your body?"
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC
- Brookfield's O' What a Day Cafe strives to make any day a good day to stop in
- Skateland, jut beyond Brookfield, proves an enduring attraction for a fun night out
- Business spotlight: Brookfield dry cleaner emphasizes efficiency and economy for customers
- Business Spotlight Employees make Brookfield's Half Price Books work in a changing literary world
- Business Spotlight: Shoe Carnival's goal is to make shopping fun
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Chiropractor takes a full-body wellness approach
- Brookfield business sells, buys 'gently used' children's goods
- Brookfield promotional business advocates useful items, not trinkets
- Company helps people, businesses save on energy
- Karate American encourages healthy body, mind