A Milwaukee man pleaded guilty to driving a motor vehicle without the owner's consent Monday, May 19, in Waukesha County Court.
Trenton Chipps, 19, was stopped while driving a stolen vehicle on Interstate 94 at around 2 a.m. on April 5. Chipps was pulled over after failing to slow down for, or move away from, highway service vehicles and personnel.
Chipps told police that he was borrowing the car from a friend for a trip to South Dakota, where he is from. Chipps did not have a valid driver's license and was arrested.
He said a friend provided the stolen car for him but declined to name the friend. The vehicle belonged to a Wauwatosa couple who were unaware of it being missing. The criminal complaint states the couple believed the vehicle was stored in the garage of a friend in Milwaukee.
Officials acknowledged they could not prove Chipps stole the vehicle, only that he was operating it without the owners' consent.
Chipps was also charged with carrying a concealed weapon. Officers found a knife clipped to his tank top between his shoulder blades.
In cooperation with Chipps' guilty plea, the Waukesha County District Attorney's Office agreed to drop the concealed weapon charge, a misdemeanor.
Judge Kathryn Foster set a sentencing hearing for Friday, May 23, at 2 p.m. Chipps faces a maximum fine of up to $10,000 and could face up to three years and six months in prison.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: June 18
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Elm Grove to host summer movies series
- Author Spike Carlsen to Appear at Elm Grove Library