Old-fashioned approach to job-seeking still works
Company helps workers connect with employers
While technological advancements have changed the way business is conducted, the owner of DC Workfinders still relies on a traditional methodology to grow his specialty job placement firm and benefit its clients.
"We get a lot of job leads just by cold-calling companies," Kevin Heil said. "It's old-fashioned but still very effective. Cold-calling allows us to get inside information on upcoming vacancies, such as who is retiring, so we can get our clients in front of employers for interviews before the company advertises for that opening."
The Brookfield job placement and counseling and vocational assistance company has been working on behalf of its primarily Wisconsin and Illinois-based clients since 2003 and specializes in assisting injured workers, who cannot return to their previous employment.
Heil's nine-member staff includes five employment research specialists which, he said, helps set DC Workfinders apart from its competition.
"Many other companies just have counselors, but we have a team approach - like a mini- employment agency," said Heil, whose clients range from blue collar to middle management. "We don't try to find our clients just any job. We take a surgical approach by first performing a thorough evaluation of a clients' personal and vocational history - including their hobbies, as that could be a pathway to a career - to determine what job categories are suitable for a particular worker. Our specialists then use this information to look for job leads; I'd put our excellent staff up against anyone."
According to Heil, his staff has been invaluable to DC Workfinders during the present economic downturn - assisting its clients in résumé writing and completing online applications, and guiding them through the interview process.
"These days it's very important to have a good system for following up after an interview," Heil said. "A few years ago, if you did well on the interview, you'd probably get the job. Now, oftentimes persistence is what separates job seekers."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
ADDRESS: 3815 N. Brookfield Road, Suite 204
PHONE: (262) 783-9004
OWNER: Kevin Heil
TYPE OF BUSINESS: customized job placement and counseling
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC