Performance Running Outfitters take pride in helping customers get fit
Couple turns sport they love into their profession
Business owners Trae and Jessica Hoepner's work and personal life oftentime blur, but the pair wouldn't have it any other way.
The husband and wife team - and onetime competitive distance runners at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater - own Performance Running Outfitters in Brookfield and say they obtain as big a high from serving the community as they do from running.
"We get so much personal satisfaction from helping the community," said Trae, who also owns two other Milwaukee-area Performance Running Outfitters. "Seeing our customers meet their health and fitness goals really keeps us going."
Located in the Ruby Isle Shopping Center, Performance Running Outfitters markets to runners and walkers of all levels and abilities and features dozens of name-brand products, including Newton, New Balance and Nike.
According to Trae, Performance Running Outfitters' large selection and customer service approach separate the store from the competition.
"We're a one-stop, jack-of-all-trades shop, and no one else has everything we have to help people get up and running," said Trae, who plans on expanding the store to include an indoor track. "But we don't sell. Our staff is extremely knowledgeable about the running industry, so we just inform customers to the Nth degree, so they can buy shoes based on factors other than color or style."
The purchase process involves Performance Running Outfitters' thorough video gait analysis, whereby a customer is filmed walking or running on a treadmill to determine what shoe offers the best support for his or her foot.
Performance Running Outfitters also offers 5K, 10K and half-marathon training and organizes a number of fun runs and running-form clinics at Milwaukee area businesses and schools.
"Our goal is to get the community - especially today's kids, who have become a sedentary generation - moving again," said Trae, a track coach at Brookfield Central High School, where Jessica coaches cross country. "We want to do our part to erase the national perception that Wisconsin is not a fit state."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Performance Running Outfitters
ADDRESS:2205 N. Calhoun Road
OWNERS: Trae and Jessica Hoepner
TYPE OF BUSINESS: fitness
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Do what you do and be the best at it."
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution