Stephen Betts may be partial to his confectionery store's products, but the co-owner of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory relies on more than just his own taste buds when talking up the sugary treats.
"You can't find a better chocolate than ours - not even in Belgium," said Betts, of the Brookfield franchise he manages with partner Steven Morris. "We've had people from Europe here and they've said the chocolate at our store is the same as they get at home. That's high praise. Closer to home, we've had customers drive all the way from upper Wisconsin just to buy our chocolate."
Rocky Mountain's loyal customers are drawn to its distinctive brand of chocolate, Betts said.
"I love the quality of our chocolate," Betts said. "The finishing notes in it are just like those found in wine. It's rich, creamy and not bitter, so you don't need to eat that much of it in order to feel satisfied."
Located in the heart of Brookfield Square Mall, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory opened in late 2011. The store is one of the latest additions to the Durango, Colo.-based operation, which numbers close to 300 franchises worldwide.
Betts, who was previously employed in the interior design field, was sold on a future in the candy business after working at his sister and brother-in-law's Rocky Mountain franchise in Galena, Ill.
"I liked seeing that their headquarters wasn't hands-on, so if I entered into a franchise I'd be able to run it as I chose without being saddled by corporate rules," Betts said. "That freedom has enabled me to continue to keep a hand in interior design as a part-time consultant, while working full-time in a much more stable market."
The candy market, Betts adds, also allows him to feed his artistic side, as Rocky Mountain features more than 300 varieties of handmade chocolates and confections.
"It's fun to express myself through making chocolate creations," Morris said. "Especially, because who doesn't love chocolate? If you're feeling down, chocolate perks you up. And since dark chocolate's proven to have health benefits, there's no reason not to indulge in it."
For more information on the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, visit rmcf.com/WI/Brookfield50847.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
NAME:Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
ADDRESS: Brookfield Square, 95 N. Moorland Road
PHONE: (262) 784-1738
OWNERS: Stephen Betts and Steven Morris
TYPE OF BUSINESS: confections
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "What better way to leave your mark in this world than to have other people say great things about you."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC