Steve Uelner hopes you're looking for trip of a lifetime
Travel agency prefers to stray from the typical tour
Steve Uelner was at a career crossroads late last year when World Wide Country Tours, the travel agency he had worked at for the past 25 years, shuttered its doors. Fortunately, however, his former clients pointed him in the right direction.
"When Reader's Digest, the owner of WWCT, decided to get out of the travel business, I heard from several longtime customers who implored me to keep the business going," said Uelner, who responded in January by opening Country Travel Discoveries.
"For the first two weeks I was working out of my home office, but it didn't matter where I was calling from because our clientele had so much trust and faith in us. They couldn't wait to plan their next vacations, and that's made for a fairly seamless transition for all of us."
Uelner, along with a handful of former travel industry colleagues, soon relocated the business to Elm Grove and continued booking tours to the out-of-the-way destinations popular with his WWCT customers.
"We stay away from traditional tourist sites like Cancun and Las Vegas," said Uelner, president and managing director of Country Travel Discoveries. "Rather, the backbone of our business is taking people to places they couldn't go to with other travel agencies or on their own - like pineapple farms in Hawaii or a dairy farm in rural Germany. We'll take customers to Arizona and they'll rave to me more about experiencing life on a cattle ranch than seeing the Grand Canyon."
According to Uelner, Country Travel Discoveries has already reserved trips for 1,000 customers this year - well ahead of projections. While about half of the bookings are from repeat travelers, the company's core customer base will have to expand in order for the agency to achieve long-term success.
"Currently, the average age of our clients is 66, but our goal is to also market to people in their 50s, who want more experiential and interactive travel tours," he said. "These could be to family reunions, friends traveling together on health and wellness trips, or culinary experiences."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Country Travel Discoveries
ADDRESS: 13500 Watertown Plank Road, Suite 107, Elm Grove
PHONE: (262) 923-8121
TYPE OF BUSINESS: travel agency
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC
- Brookfield's O' What a Day Cafe strives to make any day a good day to stop in
- Skateland, jut beyond Brookfield, proves an enduring attraction for a fun night out
- Business spotlight: Brookfield dry cleaner emphasizes efficiency and economy for customers