Kristin Olson has been in the fitness industry for more than a decade, but only in the last eight years has she seen her clients gain significantly more results in less time.
"I started my career as a personal trainer, but when I found that my clients weren't getting value out of their gym workout sessions, I did some research and discovered Pilates," said Olson, who opened Absolute Pilates in Brookfield in 2004. "Unlike gym workouts, which segment muscle groups, Pilates views the body as a whole system working as one."
Created by German-born Joseph Pilates in the early 20th century, Pilates employs a series of controlled body movements and resistance training that builds lean muscles and a strong core and back, while developing proper breathing techniques to relieve stress.
Olson said that while many variations of Pilates exist, her studio practices the traditional form.
"It's very difficult to obtain a certification in the purist form of Pilates, but it's worth it," said the ex-gymnast with a Bachelor of Science degree in kinesiology. "The classical approach lets us teach the complete system of exercises that Joseph Pilates used, so our clients can get the utmost out of their workouts."
Located in Stonewood Village, Absolute Pilates conducts private and group sessions for beginners and advanced students, who range in age from pre-teens to senior citizens. Olson and her team of instructors also perform injury rehabilitation on clients, who have advanced beyond physical therapy.
"It brings me great joy to see the improvement my clients make from session to session," Olson said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Absolute Pilates
ADDRESS: Stonewood Village-Bedford House 17700 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 617-0731
OWNER: Kristin Olson
TYPE OF BUSINESS: fitness
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "You will feel different after 10 sessions, see a difference after 20 and have an entirely new body after 30." - Joseph Pilates
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC
- Brookfield's O' What a Day Cafe strives to make any day a good day to stop in
- Skateland, jut beyond Brookfield, proves an enduring attraction for a fun night out
- Business spotlight: Brookfield dry cleaner emphasizes efficiency and economy for customers
- Business Spotlight Employees make Brookfield's Half Price Books work in a changing literary world
- Business Spotlight: Shoe Carnival's goal is to make shopping fun
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Chiropractor takes a full-body wellness approach
- Brookfield business sells, buys 'gently used' children's goods
- Brookfield promotional business advocates useful items, not trinkets
- Company helps people, businesses save on energy
- Karate American encourages healthy body, mind