Kristin Olson has been in the fitness industry for more than a decade, but only in the last eight years has she seen her clients gain significantly more results in less time.
"I started my career as a personal trainer, but when I found that my clients weren't getting value out of their gym workout sessions, I did some research and discovered Pilates," said Olson, who opened Absolute Pilates in Brookfield in 2004. "Unlike gym workouts, which segment muscle groups, Pilates views the body as a whole system working as one."
Created by German-born Joseph Pilates in the early 20th century, Pilates employs a series of controlled body movements and resistance training that builds lean muscles and a strong core and back, while developing proper breathing techniques to relieve stress.
Olson said that while many variations of Pilates exist, her studio practices the traditional form.
"It's very difficult to obtain a certification in the purist form of Pilates, but it's worth it," said the ex-gymnast with a Bachelor of Science degree in kinesiology. "The classical approach lets us teach the complete system of exercises that Joseph Pilates used, so our clients can get the utmost out of their workouts."
Located in Stonewood Village, Absolute Pilates conducts private and group sessions for beginners and advanced students, who range in age from pre-teens to senior citizens. Olson and her team of instructors also perform injury rehabilitation on clients, who have advanced beyond physical therapy.
"It brings me great joy to see the improvement my clients make from session to session," Olson said.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Absolute Pilates
ADDRESS: Stonewood Village-Bedford House 17700 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
PHONE: (262) 617-0731
OWNER: Kristin Olson
TYPE OF BUSINESS: fitness
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "You will feel different after 10 sessions, see a difference after 20 and have an entirely new body after 30." - Joseph Pilates
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution
- Business Spotlight: Skiin brings science to bear on cosmetic improvements
- Business Spotlight: Commerce State Bank knows its way around business growth
- No job too small adds up to a full-time job
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland