Teens put elbow grease to use in entrepreneurial endeavor
Two Boys and a Trailer hauls yard waste away
While their friends toil at stable minimum wage jobs this summer, Brookfield teenagers Greg Smith and Kevin Reardon took the entrepreneurial route, speculating that their start-up, yard waste removal business would be more lucrative.
So far, the pair's gamble is paying off. Since launching Two Boys and a Trailer in May, Greg said, business has doubled, up from 10 customers the first week, to a current high of 20.
"Through word of mouth and the advertising fliers we've distributed, business has really been catching on lately, and everyone we do work for says they don't know what they'd do without us," said Greg, who hit upon the idea for Two Boys and a Trailer when he accompanied his father to the Brookfield Recycling Center one day last year and noticed a number of residents struggling to remove debris from their cars. "We make it easy for them; all they have to do is leave the yard waste on the curb or driveway, and we take care of the rest."
The 16-year-olds do so with the aid of Greg's trailer and Kevin's family car, hauling loads of brush to the recycling center three days a week.
Initially, the juniors-to-be at Marquette University High School believed that the primary market for their services would be senior citizens or others who are physically unable to haul their yard waste away. Instead, Kevin said, Two Boys and a Trailer has drawn customers from every demographic.
"All sorts of people have hired us, from retirees to people with small cars to professionals who are too busy to make it to the dump regularly," said Kevin, who charges $20 per customer for the first haul and $10 for each subsequent trip to the recycling center. "A lot of our customers don't want the hassle of having to load up the backseat of their cars and get them dirty. We solve that problem for them."
For information on Two Boys and a Trailer, visit TwoBoysAndATrailer.com.
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to email@example.com or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
NAME: Two Boys and a Trailer
ADDRESS: 2490 Buckingham Place, Brookfield
PHONE: (414) 779-0843
OWNERS: Greg Smith and Kevin Reardon
TYPE OF BUSINESS: yard waste removal
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "We try to be fast, friendly and reliable."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland
- Business Spotlight: Paper Envy is not a paper tiger in the personalized stationery business
- Business Spotlight: Renovators Ltd. of Elm Grove has a program for every construction job
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: 9Round fitness center
- Business Spotlight: From Panera to Blaze Pizza in Brookfield, franchise owner has succeeded again
- Brookfield's Pet Supplies Plus caters to a four-footed customer base
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Jamba Juice
- Business Spotlight: Taking pictures is easier today, but taking good pictures is not, as Mike Crivel
- Business Spotlight: Elite Sport & Spine LLC