A Milwaukee woman took $3,640 from an Elm Grove bank while she worked as a teller there and made unauthorized transactions to customer accounts to cover her tracks, according to a criminal complaint.
A felony charge of fraud against a financial institution was filed Tuesday against Shanecqua R. Tucker, 20, in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
Tucker is scheduled to make an initial court appearance Dec. 14. She could face up to six years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted.
According to the complaint:
A man reported to Elm Grove police that $1,000 had been withdrawn from his account after he made a deposit at the TCF Bank branch located at 12850 W. Bluemound Road on Sept. 5.
A fraud investigator for the bank tracked the unauthorized withdrawal to Tucker.
Tucker told a police officer that she took money from the bank, but never from customers. She took cash from her teller drawer and withdrew funds from customer accounts to balance the drawer on a number of occasions.
Once the drawer appeared balanced, Tucker said, she reversed the withdrawals, and the transactions wouldn't appear on customer statements.
Tucker initially told officers she didn't take the money for personal use. Later, however, she admitted using the money to purchase items for herself and to treat family members.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Business Notes: Dec. 18
- Brookfield public hearing brings out sizable support for quarry housing proposal
- Ask Now: Does Brookfield have the third-largest tax base in the state?
- Brookfield shoppers advised to take caution
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Dec. 11
- Town of Brookfield welcomes potential new partner on The Corners development
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: Dec. 18
- Local artist Sue Lawton writes and illustrates 'The Fire Keepers' for Sharon Lynne Wilson Center
- Brookfield Public Library recommendations: Dec. 18
- Weekly Planner: Dec. 18