Unlike the scores of other business opportunities that Jeff Lex considered trading his pharmaceutical sales career for, he never thought twice about entering the caregiving profession. The venture appealed to him personally, as well as professionally.
"I wanted something that was about making a difference, rather than just making numbers," said the franchise owner of ComForcare Senior Services of Brookfield, which provides professional personal care and companionship services for clients in independent-living facilities or in their own homes.
"When this opportunity came up, I immediately thought of my grandmother."
In 2004, Lex's grandmother, Sylvia, passed away. Her final years left a lasting impression on her grandson.
"Nursing homes have their place, but toward the end of my grandmother's life, she didn't want to be in one, so it was very depressing for her and my family," he said. "I wish my grandmother had been able to benefit from ComForcare's in-home services, but at least I can help other people experience them."
Available to residents in Milwaukee, Waukesha and southern Ozaukee counties, ComForcare's staff of certified nursing assistants administers up to around-the-clock, non-medical services, such as meal preparation, safety supervision and hygiene care for clients ranging from senior citizens to new mothers and individuals with disabilities.
Lex inherited four clients when he bought the franchise in late 2009, and that number has since swelled to more than 30. He attributes the rapid growth to regular face-to-face meetings with prospective clients, networking within the caregiver industry and the skill of his nursing staff.
"The nurses who are assigned to each case do a great job performing initial assessments, like making sure a senior citizen's shower is safe and collaborating with families to develop practical care plans," Lex said. "They're also very diligent in overseeing our CNAs to ensure that those plans are followed.
"Our staff - and the recent discount prescription drug program that ComForcare implemented - has made this business very personally rewarding for me."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured, email email@example.com.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: ComForcare Senior Services of Brookfield
ADDRESS: 200 S. Executive Drive
PHONE: (414) 282-8606
OWNER: Jeff Lex
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." - Dale Carnegie
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ballet school helps students move with grace, confidence
- Enhancing Light Cosmetic Laser comes to Elm Grove
- Matt Schultz's search for a franchise was led by the heart
- Retirement just didn't pan out for Pro Cast's owner
- Halen Homes young, but making mark
- Freedom Physical Therapy triples clinic size
- Drove over your cell phone? CPR may help
- Spring Bank risked weak economy but won big
- Having a party? Don't fret, decorative tableware rentals available
- Brand personality key to architecture
- Science, intuition work together at Campione Chiropractic
- All-natural, fresh made cookies are staple at Sweet!
- Dental practice remembers motto: 'Never treat a stranger'
- Geary Dentistry on cutting edge of dental techniques
- Decision to strike out on his own pays off for LePoidevin Marketing head
- E-Freight Courier service stands out with niche market, high standards
- United Driving School has personal approach to teaching students
- United Driving School aims for safe, confident motorists
- Skilled team makes variety possible at Trace-A-Matic
- Clark Associates touts strong partnerships as key