Unlike the scores of other business opportunities that Jeff Lex considered trading his pharmaceutical sales career for, he never thought twice about entering the caregiving profession. The venture appealed to him personally, as well as professionally.
"I wanted something that was about making a difference, rather than just making numbers," said the franchise owner of ComForcare Senior Services of Brookfield, which provides professional personal care and companionship services for clients in independent-living facilities or in their own homes.
"When this opportunity came up, I immediately thought of my grandmother."
In 2004, Lex's grandmother, Sylvia, passed away. Her final years left a lasting impression on her grandson.
"Nursing homes have their place, but toward the end of my grandmother's life, she didn't want to be in one, so it was very depressing for her and my family," he said. "I wish my grandmother had been able to benefit from ComForcare's in-home services, but at least I can help other people experience them."
Available to residents in Milwaukee, Waukesha and southern Ozaukee counties, ComForcare's staff of certified nursing assistants administers up to around-the-clock, non-medical services, such as meal preparation, safety supervision and hygiene care for clients ranging from senior citizens to new mothers and individuals with disabilities.
Lex inherited four clients when he bought the franchise in late 2009, and that number has since swelled to more than 30. He attributes the rapid growth to regular face-to-face meetings with prospective clients, networking within the caregiver industry and the skill of his nursing staff.
"The nurses who are assigned to each case do a great job performing initial assessments, like making sure a senior citizen's shower is safe and collaborating with families to develop practical care plans," Lex said. "They're also very diligent in overseeing our CNAs to ensure that those plans are followed.
"Our staff - and the recent discount prescription drug program that ComForcare implemented - has made this business very personally rewarding for me."
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: ComForcare Senior Services of Brookfield
ADDRESS: 200 S. Executive Drive
PHONE: (414) 282-8606
OWNER: Jeff Lex
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." - Dale Carnegie
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution
- Business Spotlight: Skiin brings science to bear on cosmetic improvements
- Business Spotlight: Commerce State Bank knows its way around business growth
- No job too small adds up to a full-time job
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland