Mike Jurken's event production company has grown considerably over the past 13 years - as has the owner himself.
In 1999, the then 12-year-old entrepreneur stored his equipment in a closet in his parents' basement. Today, only a 10,000-square-foot facility can house the assorted cables, lighting and other gear needed to keep his operation afloat.
Along the way, a minor assignment for a boy pop rock band helped take his Majic Enterprises to the next level.
"I started out as a deejay working school dances and weddings and kept it going when I went away to Florida for college," the Brookfield native said. "Then I got a small job for Hanson, which led to us getting incorporated and into the production end of the business, staging concerts and corporate meetings and parties."
Shortly thereafter, the University of Miami musical theater major said, he had so much business that he was obliged to juggle his class schedule in order to fly home to Wisconsin for long weekends to meet with prospective clients and complete jobs.
Finally, when weekly long-distance commuting proved too exhausting, Jurken transferred to the University of Wisconsin-Madison to complete his degree requirements and be closer to his venture. With more time to devote to Majic Enterprises, Jurken's company took yet another leap.
"I think our ability to do crazy things with lighting and sound makes us the most creative production company in the state," Jurken said of his 30-member staff. "We're always thinking of unique ways to impress clients, because we believe the customer is always right."
His customer service approach, he said, allows him to count such Fortune 500 companies as Northwestern Mutual and Harley Davidson among his long list of satisfied clients throughout the Midwest.
According to Jurken, Majic Enterprises already has exceeded its 2011 sales numbers and is poised to double last year's figures. While pleased with his company's success, he's anything but content.
"We strive to make every event perfect," he said, "because you're only as good as your last party."
For more information on Majic Enterprises, visit http://www.majicenterprises.com/
If you would like to suggest a business to be featured in the Business Spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 446-6643.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Majic Enterprises
ADDRESS: 3265 Gateway Road, Unit 200, Brookfield
PHONE: (414) 839-1760
OWNER/CEO: Mike Jurken
TYPE OF BUSINESS: event production
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Do a good job tonight and the phone will ring tomorrow."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl
- Business Spotlight: Workout efficiency is stressed at Fitness Revolution
- Business Spotlight: Skiin brings science to bear on cosmetic improvements
- Business Spotlight: Commerce State Bank knows its way around business growth
- No job too small adds up to a full-time job
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Business Spotlight: Fred Astaire's grace lies behind every step
- Flower design drew event planner back to the business she loved
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Wilson Center embraces the risks inherent in the arts
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At Walters', a suit is at its best when it's wet
- Business Spotlight: Sunset Playhouse has come a long way
- Business Spotlight: Cookies by Design
- Business Spotlight: Can learning be fun? The owners of The Learning Shop believe it can!
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: With 170 years behind it, Laacke & Joys has a wealth of experience
- Business Spotlight: New owner hopes to continue Elm Grove tailoring shop's high standards
- Business Spotlight: Healthworks Wellness Center in Brookfield
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove's Mystic Ireland celebrates the culture of the owner's homeland