Three Detroit men were accused for their roles in the theft of a $20,000 diamond from a Brookfield jewelry store on Friday, June 6.
Anthony Friend, 21, Bobby Savage, 24, and Camron Trimble, 19, were charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court with felony retail theft. Each man faces up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines if convicted.
Savage and Trimble were additionally charged with attempting to flee and obstructing an officer, respectively. Both crimes carry a penalty of more jail time and a $10,000 fine.
According to the criminal complaint, Friend walked into the Brookfield branch of Kesslers Diamond Center and asked a sales clerk if he could inspect a two-carat diamond, worth $20,946, and a setting, worth $1,400, while Savage and Trimble idled outside in a parked car.
The clerk told police that Friend then grabbed the jewelry and ran out of the store toward the waiting vehicle.
A chase ensued, eventually resulting in the arrest of Savage and Trimble.
Friend exited the car and fled on foot during the chase and was not found when Savage and Trimble were taken into custody.
Police eventually located and arrested him near Vanderbilt Road, the complaint said. Friend said he ran because he was scared.
Officers allegedly discovered the ring but no diamond when they searched him.
"Why would I still have it? I'm caught," Friend said to police.
A search of the suspects' car revealed two pages of handwritten notes, with the addresses of several Kesslers locations, and the names and addresses of local jewelry outlets that sell Rolex watches, highlighted.
All three men are friends and have known each other for years, according to the complaint.
Friend, Savage and Trimble are being held at the Waukesha County jail on $15,000 cash bonds. If released, they would be barred from interacting with one another or contacting Kesslers.
Their preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday, June 12.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove News & Notes: Nov. 27
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ask Now: Are there any plans for the Old Toll Road Village site in Brookfield?
- Town of Brookfield officials remain confident despite slow pace on The Corners
- Brookfield man nears end of quest to run a marathon in every state
- Taste of the Town: RiverMill Cafe in Elm Grove
- Brookfield water utility lead operator wins award with invention
- Elm Grove approves 2015 budget, 1.03 percent levy increase
- Elmbrook Education Foundation's annual Ladies Night fundraiser to help meet $100K goal